Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Any tips or advice for growing Fig Trees?

Annette
Making a Splash

Any tips or advice for growing Fig Trees?

I am thinking about planting a fig tree but have no experience with growing figs at all. I have read that some of the recommended varieties and better tasting figs are Black Genoa, Brown Turkey and White Adriatic but would welcome actual knowledge from Workshop members. I know that fig trees grow quite successfully in Canberra but I am unsure as to which varieties might do best here.

I would of course like to eat them fresh but I want them primarily to dry as I have previously had great success with drying them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Any tips or advice for growing Fig Trees?

@darylhewston - Here is the recipe for dried figs as given to me. It was in imperial measurements but I have also included the metric measurements. When they have dried they will still be sticky. Place the figs in an airtight container or jar and they will keep for several months (I ate all mine before that :wink:). These are the BEST dried figs I have EVER had but don't take my word for it - try it out for yourself. Please let me know the results. Bon appetit !!

DRIED FIGS

INGREDIENTS

• 6 lbs ripe figs (approx 2.8 kg)
  • 3 lbs white sugar (approx 1.4 kg)
  • 2 tablespoons white vinegar

METHOD

• Cut figs in half
  • Place all ingredients in large saucepan
  • Just cover with water
  • Boil for 2 hours
  • Cool and let stand for 24 hours
  • Drain
  • Dry figs in a dehydrator for approx 12 hours.

NOTE

If you don't have a dehydrator try placing the figs on a tray lined with baking paper or a silicon mat and place them in the oven on the lowest setting. Check every few hours until done.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Have you had any figs yet @darylhewston?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@Jason

Ohhhh yeah, we have figs coming out our ears.  Deb has even made a few jars of fig and date relish.  Just waiting for that to mature and get stuck in.  

Deb's going to give @Annette dried fig recipe a go.  Will let you know how she gets on.

Cheers'n'beers

Daryl

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects