Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Are Protea and Hellebore plants poisonous?

mandysclee
Getting Established

Are Protea and Hellebore plants poisonous?

I am thinking of buying some protea and hellebore plants to plant to my backyard but not sure if these plants are poisonous to human and pets as I found some website said they are while some others said they aren't.  I want to make sure it's safe before buying them.  Grateful if you can give me some advice.  Thanks.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Are Protea and Hellebore plants poisonous?

Hi @mandysclee,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're really pleased to have you as one of our latest members and look forward to reading all about your projects and plans for around the house and garden.

Let me tag the wonderful @Noelle to see if she can set the record straight for you. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @mandysclee 

I have an excellent resource called: Mind-altering and Poisonous Plants of the World, by Michael Wink & Ben-Erik van Wyk.

This book has only one listing for Protea and that is in reference to this genus and others of the Ericaceae plant family containing benzoquinones. This group of chemicals mostly affect skin and mucous tissues (especially of the eye), causing discoloration and blisters on the skin and conjunctivitis and ulcerations of the cornea in the eye in susceptible persons.  Proteas are therefore potential irritants rather than being poisonous as such.

Hellebores, on the other hand, contain cardiac glycosides.  All parts of most hellebore species are poisonous if eaten, with a burning (acrid) taste. Symptoms of poisoning on ingestion include nausea, salivation, scratching in mouth and throat, dilated pupils, burning thirst, abdominal pain and colic, dehydration, exhaustion and, in severe cases, death if medical intervention is not sought.

Hellebores are widely grown ornamental plants and, in my many years' experience, I have never heard or read of any reports of poisoning from them.

When it comes to choosing plants for your garden, and where you decide to plant them, common sense must prevail. Obviously, don't take unnecessary risks but on the other hand, don't eliminate them from your plant palette just because there's a very slight chance of an adverse reaction. I have an allergic reaction (severe blisters) to grevilleas but that doesn't stop me from having them in the garden - I just know to avoid direct skin contact!

It is recommended to treat ALL plants with respect and if you are in any doubt, wear gloves when undertaking any gardening chores.  There are far more potentially poisonous or irritant plants commonly grown in gardens around the world than "safe" ones.

Pets are often far more discerning about what they will eat in the way of plants than their human companions - they seem to instinctively distinguish between those that are edible and those that are not.

The most obvious advice for humans is to only eat those plants that you know with certainty and are able to positively identify as being suitable for human consumption!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Whether Protea and Hellebore plant are poisonous to human and pets

Hello @mandysclee

Just to add to the recommendations made. I suggest creating a natural barrier that will stop your pets from going directly into the plants. You can use WestStone 30 - 50cm Natural Schist Stepping Stone and have it either standing up or on its side to create a wall that prevents your pets from going to the plants. 

You can also use potted plants that you already have and use them to block off access. This will at the very least give your pet pause to consider the plants that are already in their way. The final approach would be to put Saxon 90cm x 10m Chicken Wire Netting and create a loop around the plant. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

mandysclee
Getting Established

Dear Jason,

Thank you for connecting me with Noelle.  I found her advice very helpful.  Thank you.

Mandy

mandysclee
Getting Established

Dear @Noelle,

Thank you so much for your detailed reply and valuable information.  I've asked the same question to many people in different nurseries recently and your advice really gave me a peace of mind for what to choose for my backyard.  I did a google search for the book you recommended above, looks like it's a very interesting book to read, thanks for your recommendation.   As I really like the beauty of the protea flower, especially the protea ice pink, after reading your advice, I would definitely go for one in my garden.   Thank you for your help.

Cheers,

Mandy

It's wonderful to hear that @Noelle's advice was useful, @mandysclee. We'd love to see a picture of your new Protea once planted.

Please feel free to reach out anytime you need assistance. We're here to help.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects