Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Backyard drainage

Amar
Finding My Feet

Backyard drainage

20201022_093148.jpg20201022_093120.jpg

Hi All, 

I need a suggestion regarding drainage. I have levelled backyard on my own. approx. 50sqm planning to lay buffalo turf. I am bit concerned about rainwater drainage. I have got garden bed on one side and bungalow on North side. House sitting on elevated land above ground. I can see stromwater inspection outlet near backyard. Now, my question is: it it an good idea to lay Agi pipe around and create stromwater pit near inspection pit and connect all end of agi pipes to that pit ? Please provide me geniune suggestion as I am newbie who love DIY. 

Thanks hips. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Backyard Drainage

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Amar. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Is there any preexisting drainage issues that you are aware of? When it rains heavily does water pool for an extended amount of time in the middle of the yard?

Agricultural line is normally laid to address an issue or prevent one from occurring when you have made changes to landscaping. If you haven't experienced any issues previously then I don't believe there is any reason to be worried about rainwater drainage. However, since you have levelled the yard and have not yet laid turf it would be a good time to install some now. You might like to lay a perimeter around the intended grassed area and connect the run back to a stormwater pit. This would assist if any future issues arise.

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Grub80
Making a Splash

Re: Backyard drainage

Hi @Amar , if your backyard is surrounded by other homes, it would be wise to have some form of drainage in your backyard, especially if the ground is flat. My back yard is surrounded by 3 homes, so I have 2 drainage pits located in the back lawn, that are connected to the storm water. These was installed by the engineers when the house was built. This ensures complete drainage in any water event, whether it be natural or man made 🤔. Recently I installed guttering on our pergola, hooked into the drainage pit and now no issues with water pooling. You’ve got to dig, get some pipe and glue, and job done. Make the effort for peace of mind. Good luck!

Re: Backyard Drainage

Thank you for your valuable feedback. @MitchellMc 

Amar
Finding My Feet

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback @Grub80, I think I will install a storm water pit and connect Agi pipe to Storm water pit and then to drainage. I am still confused whether I am allowed to connect this to drainage pipe which is connected to council sewer pipe ? Please suggest me. @MitchellMc @Grub80 

Thank you 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Amar,

Any agricultural line which is collecting stormwater needs to be connected to stormwater pipes. You can not connect it to a sewage line as they are two separate systems.

Please let us know if you have other questions. We're here to help.

Mitchell

Thank you @MitchellMc , but I am still wondering whether this pipe there is connected to stormwater or  sewage pipe ? Any idea to find out ? 

Thanks 

Amar_0-1603763644440.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Amar,

You can take the top off and check to see what water is running down it. If you stick a running hose into your gutter and see water coming through the pipe it is the rainwater system. If you flush the toilet and see water running through this pipe it is connected to the sewer. You might find a sewer pipe doesn't smell particularly great either.

As always if in doubt contact a qualified local plumber who will be able to quickly work it out for you and connect you backyard drainage if it is the correct system.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects