Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Backyard grass drying out/brown?

prvz27
Building a Reputation

Backyard grass drying out/brown?

Good afternoon everyone! 

I thought to ask the members on the workshop here regarding this issue, my knowledge on gardening is very weak and I'm definitely interested in learning more 👍🏼👍🏼

As you can see in the photo, there are dry brown patches. I'm not sure how these came about. A friend said that it may have been due to mowing the grass too short and/or just an improper job when the house was made 3 years ago. 

What do you guys reckon would be the best way to go about getting more greener grass with no patches? 

20200927_174419.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Backyard grass drying out/brown?

Hi @prvz27,

It would be helpful to know when this issue started, when was the last time you fertilised and how low did you cut it last time.

If this is a recent change I would hazard a guess to say you scalped it a little too low last time you mowed and that it will bounce back in the warmer months. Most lawns go a bit patchy in the cooler months and normally re-cooperate coming into spring. Now is also a great time to fertilise your lawn to assist in re-growth if you haven't already.

You might like to check out this discussion: How to improve your lawn this Spring.

You should find these step-by-step tutorials helpful:

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
prvz27
Building a Reputation

Re: Backyard grass drying out/brown?

Hi @MitchellMc 

Thanks for the response!

This house was built back in March 2017. I can't remember exactly when this started, but I definitely remember noticing it in 2018. Back then I wasn't so much into garden maintenance so I just let things be, but recently I was looking at it and thought that something needs to be done about it and it will be great to get nice green grass to fill those patches. The photo attached is just from a couple of days ago when we cut the grass. The lawn hasn't been fertilized since the house was built, big mistake haha. 

I'll check out those guides you've linked Mitch to educate myself on lawns. 

Cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects