Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Brown spinach leaves

Ricochet
Getting Established

Brown spinach leaves

I bought a spinach plant and lettuce plant from Bunnings a few weeks ago.  I repotted them in a planter box and everything was looking good.  Then all the leaves started getting this brown stain and drying out.   Anybody know what the problem is?Baby Spinach leavesBaby Spinach leavesBaby spinach leaves.Baby spinach leaves.

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Brown spinach leaves

Sorry to hear about this @Ricochet. Let me tag @Noelle and @Adam_W to see if they can offer some advice.

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Ricochet 

Looks a little like 'sunburn' - where the sun has burned leaves through droplets of water which act like intensifiers of the sun's rays. Spinach and lettuce have quite soft leaves that are easily damaged in this way.  When you water, try to keep the leaves dry by using a watering can with a narrow spout so you can direct water on to the soil/mulch around the plants. The appearance of the leaves doesn't look like disease or nutrient deficiency to me. Does anyone else have any ideas to throw into the mix?

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Definitely looks like they are burnt @Ricochet 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Ricochet,

It's great to see you've received some helpful replies from both @Noelle and @mich1972.

I can only agree with the diagnosis of water droplet burn. I experience the same issue with my soft-leaved vegetables if I water just before the hottest period of the day. I've since changed my watering regime to earlier in the day, so the droplets dry out before the direct sun hits them. @Noelle's suggestion of watering around the plant would also work.

Please let us know how you go, and if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Some great advice, thanks.  I am using both suggestions.  Have changed my watering schedule to evenings, a using a watering can  that allows me to water around the plants.  I am already seeing some improvements.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects