Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Brushwood Fence. Building??

woodalwaysworks
Making a Splash

Brushwood Fence. Building??

Hints, Tips, Advice. Please

Looking into putting up a Brushwood fence and wondered if anyone out there had done it before??

main questions was with the framework. was it better to use timber or Galvernised Steel?

Exposed timber posts put still keeping the rails out of sight
Best methods for securing the brush

thank you, James

Joker
Having an Impact

Re: Brushwood Fence. Building??

Keen to follow this discussion, although DIY is probably beyond me. I've heard that Brushwood can be a great option for a long-lasting fence. The quality of most timber fences constructed these days is terrible! 

I've seen both timber and metal frames. Prefer the timber look if the frame is exposed. 

Photo16.JPG

7cbd9c821e564811680883f2d9fd46eb.jpg

brushwood-fencing-1.jpg

Hi @Joker

I've watched those two old boys on YouTube. GalvSteel seems to be the way to go talking to people, due to keeping the moisture out. Just not much of a metal man myself.

I do like a touch of Timber framework in there with the Brushwood, my olny doubt is there been a visible frame work to be seen on one side, due to the rails on the fence frame. Would be a bit expensive to double side it. Will keep digging.

Thank you for your input.
James

I've been considering what's best to use for both a windbreak and privacy screen around approx two thirds of my apartments patio, I will need 1.5 widths of screen to cover the area I wish to protect. It has a rectangular steel section fence which is just a bit too formal and ringy sounding. My question is whether cable ties will be suitable to attach the brushwood sections to the steel fence or will they cut through the material. I will also wish to cut the bottom into shapes that will allow it to match the profiles of the area, ie seating, wall section, gardens. Will it hold together if trimmed or will it lose integrity?

Heya James @woodalwaysworks, hope all is well. Is there any experience that you could share with new member @Colin1960 about brushwood fencing? 

Colin, let me extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We're pleased you could join us and look forward to seeing this privacy project come to life. I'd also recommend you do a search on Workshop for terms like "screening" and "privacy" as it's a popular topic and you might find some other inspiration and helpful advice. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

If your going to cover an existing steel fence, just use a25mm thick brush cover sheet rather than a 40mm full weight brush panel. 

You can cut into the panel just don't cut through the seam, breaking this will make it all unfold. 

Cable ties would not be strong enough.  I would use wire instead.  Maybe also have a horizontal wire running across.  Top middle and bottom.

Brush panels are normally screwed and tied into their framer work.

Make sure your existing fence id starting enough to hold the weight. Brush panels are very heavy

Good afternoon,

Do you have any further advise on how to install 8 3x1.8m panels of Brushwood screening along an existing colourbond fence? What is the best way to attached the screen to the fence. Thank you.

Regards,

Joanna

Hi @JoandHenry,

Instead of fixing the screening directly to the fence, I'd recommend installing guidewires onto the Colorbond fence and then attaching the screening to that. Position the guidewires at the same height as the wire used to hold the brushwood together. You'd need at least three, and they are best placed at the top, middle and bottom of the brushwood. The wire can be attached to the fence with Tek screws. Make sure to pull the wire tight between the Tekscrews, which you've fixed into the fence's upright posts. Wind the wire around the Tek screws several times to hold it in position. Once the guidelines are in place, you can attach your screening to them with netting clips. The clips will go around the guidewire, and the wire used to hold the screening together.

This might appear to be more work, but once the guidelines are in position, it will be a sinch to fix the screening in position.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects