Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Building a portable Wedding Arbour / Arch

WAM
Finding My Feet

Building a portable Wedding Arbour / Arch

My Step-daughter was getting married last February and I wanted to contribute without getting in the way of her father. I came up with the idea of building her and her future husband a Wedding Arch.

I purchased all the tools, screws/bolts, paint and equipment and timber from Bunnings and after completing, I wish to show the finished product to the workshop environment. 

I built the Arch in my apartment carpark without out plans and with a goal in mind and I am very pleased with the finished product.

I began by building the top of the Arch with approximate measurements which turned out to be the only area that caused me some struggle. I completed the bearer ends with a long router bit turning from side to side as I did not have a large jigsaw and the bits were not long enough to go through the entire timber width. Even with a pattern, this caused issues although the belt sander saved the day.

Wedding Arch 5.jpgWedding Arch 6.jpg

Once the Arch top was completed, I designed the sides around the top measurements noting that the posts had to tuck tightly against the inside corners of the top railings.

Wedding Arch 4.jpg

Once I painted the entire project, it was ready for the day and it did not cease to impress the entire attendance at the wedding. My Step-Daughter and her new husband (now Son in-law) were not aware of what I was providing for their wedding, only that I was giving them something solely from me. I erected it, with help as it does weigh a bit, within 10 minutes and this gave the bridesmaids and my wife time to decorate with plenty of time to spare.

Wedding Arch 2.jpgWedding Arch 3.jpg

The arch now sits in pride at their home and I see it lasting for many years thanks to the quality of product from Bunnings.

Wedding Arch 1.jpg

Before I am asked, I do not have plans or sizes for this arch, but I do now have experience. I have tinkered in carpentry since my teens under the guidance of my father and am proud to follow his guidance long after he has departed this world, producing carpentry of this quality. Thanks Dad.

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Re: Building a portable Wedding Arbour / Arch

@WAM Amazing work! All from an apartment carpark, this is what true DIY is about, challenging adversity to get the job done. You certainly achieved a fantastic job, no doubt it added a special something to their day. Thanks for sharing.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Brilliant, many thanks for sharing @WAM. What a wonderful gift. 

You obviously have a great deal of skills and experience to share with the community. We are looking forward to seeing more projects from you soon. Please feel free to post anytime you have something new to share or need a hand with anything. And please let me know if you ever need assistance getting the most from the site or have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you.

Thanks again, and a very warm welcome to Workshop.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Henry98574
Finding My Feet

you are talent! 

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Henry98574. I'm sure @WAM appreciates the positive feedback. 

Let us know if you ever need assistance with your own projects or have something to share. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects