Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Building balcony garden for herbs and flowers

sadaf
Just Starting Out

Building balcony garden for herbs and flowers

Hi All,

I am a newbie in gardening and since I live in an apartment, I would like to start by building a balcony garden first to grow herbs and flowers.
I am looking for something to hang on my balcony railing. I was going through Bunnings website and got confused by two products 1. https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-495mm-garden-up-classic-vertical-planter_p2941532 - Does this product come with the pot and stand (hooks) to hang on the balcony edge?

2. https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-garden-up-mix-n-match-vertical-garden-pot_p2941524 - And this one comes with hooks as per the description. Am I missing something?

And I need to get potting mix to start with. Anything else?

Regards,
Sadaf

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Building Balcony Garden

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @sadaf. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

The Whites 495mm Garden Up Classic Vertical Planter comes with a wireframe and hooks which allows you to hang it directly onto a balcony edge.

The Whites Garden Up Mix'n'Match Vertical Garden Pot is designed to hang on the Whites Garden Up 90 x 50cm Mesh Grid with Whites Outdoor Garden Up Herb Wire Hooks which are bought separately. This system is designed primarily for walls though you could fix the mesh to your balcony edge and have multiple pots underneath each other.

I'd recommend a good quality potting mix like Scotts Osmocote 25L Premium Potting Mix to fill the planters. You might like to also purchase some fertiliser: Scotts Osmocote Pots, Planters & Indoors Controlled Release Fertiliser or Yates Dynamic Lifter Plant Fertiliser for an organic option.

You should find this step-by-step tutorial helpful: How to pot a plant by @Noelle.

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects