Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bushy plants for privacy?

tisme
Growing in Experience

Bushy plants for privacy?

what bushy type plants can I grow in pots  on my side patio for privacy that can be bought at Bunnings

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: bushy plants

Hi @tisme,

If you are after bushy plants a good place to start would be with our range of screening and hedge options. You'll find these varieties are selected to fill out quite quickly and with adequate pruning to their height will be perfect for privacy around your home.

What sized pots were you planning on growing them in and to what height did they need to screen?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tisme
Growing in Experience

at least 2 meters high  I have ceramic type pot that is 33cm wide and 38 cm deep , and plastic pot that is 41cm wide and 36cm deep 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@tisme,

In my experience, I would believe that those pots are slightly too small to grow a bushy plant that is 2 meters tall. You'd undoubtedly grow a plant to that height but it would struggle to achieve much mass. This is because the amount of tree branch structure roughly reflects its roots system. The more confined the roots, the fewer branches there are. Is there any chance you could step the pots up to something like the Yates 500mm Tuscan Round Plastic Pot or perhaps plant them in the ground?

Mitchell

tisme
Growing in Experience

Re: Bushy plants for privacy?

i live in a rental so in the ground isnt likely but i will check out the pots u mentioned 

Well that explains why my potted palms have very few branches - but I dont wanna dig holes :unhappy: sigh

Id like to put raised garden beds around Patio - but are unsure of the best plants, is there any natives that are suitable?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Cole_73,

Raised garden beds sound like a great idea, and some Australia native species would be suitable. You might like to consider Bottlebrushes, Coastal Rosemarys, Callistemons, Grevilleas or Lilly Pillys. Native hedges are often open and airy in their growing habits, and you must prune them to provide adequate screening. If left to grow naturally, you'll find most times they will end up quite lanky.

You should find these guides useful: 

Please let me know if you need further advice or had questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects