Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you reuse old potting mix?

mandyg
Finding My Feet

Can you reuse old potting mix?

I believe that someone told me about a product that you can use that revitalizes old potting mix.  Questions:

Is this true?

What has been other people's experience?

Thanks everyone have had a few large potted plants die lately and would hate to waste what I already have.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you reuse old potting mix?

Hello @mandyg 

A sealed bag of potting mix will usually last about a year before it goes stale. An open bag will last about two months, what often happens is that moisture enters the bag and causes the soil to grow mould and mildew. 

If you do decide to use the leftover potting mix, I suggest laying it flat on a plastic bag and covering it with black builder's plastic. Leave this soil in the sun for several weeks. This will sterilize the soil and then you can use it again. Just keep in mind that if the soil has a fungal infestation its best to bin it. Don't add this to your compost or it will infect it as well.

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @mandyg 

I'd add to Eric's reply by saying that most quality potting mixes contain controlled release fertiliser, and it starts releasing from the moment it is added to the mix on the production line.  The older the mix, the more nutrients have been released and are accumulating within the bag.  If the bag is stored for an extended period more than 6-8 weeks) after purchase still sealed or open, the build up of nutrients can be sufficient to burn the tender young roots of plants, especially seedlings.

Most manufacturers therefore do not recommend storing bags for more than a few weeks - it is better for your plants to buy what you need, when you need it.

When it comes to used potting mix that's perhaps been in a pot for a couple of years already - yes, it can be partially revived by adding either homemade or commercially prepared compost to it together with fresh controlled release fertiliser. The other option is to mix it 50/50 with fresh potting mix, again topping up the fertiliser component.

thanks @Noelle and @EricL.  Information was great!!!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects