Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Canna lily leaves

Shima
Finding My Feet

Canna lily leaves

Hi there

Could you advise if these spots are normal or they're signs of a serious disease? 

Thanks heaps

20210311_124413.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Canna lily leaves

Hi @Shima,

I suspect that if the rest of the plant is looking healthy, this might be a case of just cutting this leaf off and monitoring the plant. I notice that you have quite a large quantity of Dynamic lifter spread over the surface of the pot. How often are you fertilising like this, and could you please tell us about your watering regime?

Let me mention a couple of our experts, @Adam_W and @Noelle, to see if they can offer some advice.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Shima 

Agree completely with @MitchellMc re cutting the affected leaf off and also reducing the amount of fertiliser you are using. Cannas generally like quite a lot of moisture, doing quite well in almost boggy conditions so perhaps your plant is a little too dry.

Thanks Mitchell and Noelle for your helpful advice. 

I spread two handful of Dynamic lifter every 6 weeks and water it once a week. Was it the receipe for killing the plant?! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It might not be a recipe for killing the plant @Shima, but you could reduce the amount of fertilizer you apply. I'd recommend one handful every two months. You'll want to up that watering as well to at least two times a week and make sure they are good five-minute waterings, so the soil is totally saturated. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Agree with everyone's comments but would add... look like the leaves have also been eaten by some sort of leaf skeletoniser - a small caterpillar of some sort.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects