Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Cat-safe soil for indoor garden

iamconfusion
Just Starting Out

Cat-safe soil for indoor garden

I wanted to make my cat a little indoor garden but I dont want to make him sick accidentally. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on pet/cat safe soils and maybe fertilisers (or a way to nourish a garden that doesnt smell too bad hopefully, but not a necessity).

I can only find info on plants to avoid so far and a suggestion on sterilised soil, so I would really appreciate any brand suggestions and/or any extra info on the product or what I should be looking for 😊

ShaneOfAdelaide
Finding My Feet

Re: Cat safe soil

With many garden soil mixes having warnings about microbial risks;  I can understand your concern. I used sandy loam as a base for my chicken coup https://www.bunnings.com.au/southern-mix-20kg-80-20-blend-sandy-loam_p0760414?store=5160&gclid=CjwKC... and have had no problems. Perhaps ironically I find it easy to clean with a kitty litter scoop. 

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Great to have you join us @iamconfusion and it's wonderful to see that you've already received helpful advice from @ShaneOfAdelaide.

Let me tag @Noelle to see if she can offer suggestions and expand on what she shared in her guide How to keep your garden safe for pets.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @iamconfusion 

The suggestion of a sandy loam is a good one, however, if you want to grow plants in it you will need to include some fertiliser. I'd suggest an organic plant food would be preferable as it will be quite mild and even if the cat eats the odd bit, it won't hurt it. Generally, animals don't eat soil but they may ingest very small amounts stuck to their paws or coats when they lick and groom.  That's perfectly normal and won't cause any health issues.

Don't contemplate sterilising the soil or using one that is supposedly sterile because the microorganisms in soils are what keep them healthy.  These are mostly beneficial and will assist plants to grow. It's only if your soil becomes compacted and anaeriobic (that is, oxygen-deprived through compaction and water-logging) that harmful microorganisms may proliferate. Keeping the soil moist (but not wet) will prevent airborne dusts that may be inhaled.

Animals including cats love digging and scratching in soils - they do it in their natural environments, so there's absolutely no harm in your cat also enjoying an indoor garden in the same way it would play and scratch around in the soil outside.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @iamconfusion,

I thought I'd just point out that we have Cat Mint - Nepeta mussiniiCat Grass - Dactylis glomerataMr Fothergills Cat Grass Seed Raiser Kits and Mr Fothergills Cat Nip Seed Raiser Kits. You could grow the cat grass in a shallow tray with minimal soil or just in cotton wool balls. The catmint could be grown outdoors and bought in for a special treat. Also, be sure to check out our fantastic range of cat-related products when looking for the finishing touches for your cat's mini oasis.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell  

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects