Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Community vegetable garden

IDIG
Having an Impact

Community vegetable garden

Started community Veg garden in retirement village , Brooklyn Park S A . Raised garden beds & potting soil from Bunnings . Growing winter crops , picking radishes & lettuce . Variety of common herbs , Enjoyed by the residents who have missed their gardens since moving into village accommodation 

Regards 

Don Applebee

A6B3F646-BBE5-411F-BC97-F89FE80E91F4.jpegC96C1495-AC1E-4494-B4E5-0C8C5FC5F17F.jpeg661E058E-0EE1-4DF4-8132-BB8BCCCBB6D2.jpeg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Community vegetable garden

The garden is looking good @Baretta11! I also love asparagus - something I wouldn't mind trying to grow but I think my husband would prefer strawberries. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

@IDIG  Don , will you be adding any large potted trees along the fence line? Or just working the raised beds. By the way I love the height of them, easier for the residents to work on.
I love the Raised Garden Beds with legs as well as they are easier to work with too.

IDIG
Having an Impact

Mich , no trees, , Veg gardens good for now , will be adding some smaller beds with trellis frames for summer , beans & cucumbers , going to try climbing spinach vine , leaves good for stir fry’s. Regards Don 

IDIG
Having an Impact

Much.  , got Ute load of general raised garden bed mix , added some cow manure , dynamic lifter granules & horse manure from local stables ( free ). , once veggies start to grow I give liquid fertiliser every three weeks . Plantings so far Herb Bed , Parsley Flat Leaf & Curly , Rosemary , Coriander , Thyme , Marjoram, Sorrel  .  Veg Radish , Pick again Lettuce , Spring Onion , Spinach , Rocket ,, Garlic Chives , Chives , Beetroot , Silver Beet , Sugar Snap Peas , Rhubarb . Trying a Potato Box Tower , first time , will build up to 1/2 metre as shoots grow & keep getting covered , Resident help themselves to ready Veg available , so far Radish & lettuce being cropped  .some residents have supplied seeds & fertiliser , We have social committee cash donation to buy more seeds & tools  Regards Don

IDIG
Having an Impact

Eric

Have made from building site trash & wooden crate from parts warehouse , only bought the 6 mm threaded rod & nuts , , Corners are 3 pieces bolted top & bottom with the rod so you leave a gap for the side boards to slide in , , the bottom bolt is set just so the first side board is held , the top bolt is your adjuster to tighten / loosen as you build up the side boards & add the soil as the potatoes grow , First time I have tried this method . Once I get to full height I can then loosen the top bolt , remove the side boards & pull down the soil , hoping for lots of potatoes ,  Then I can pack away & use again next season or leave at 1 side board level & grow some other crop I looked at a lot of ideas on YouTube & internet with screwed side panel but thought I would try this way D2E3D783-19E8-4971-9ACB-412C7FDB67F2.jpegB40CA6FF-A44F-46C2-9752-29EE4F7F7550.jpeg6AAE21C3-E914-4E5B-81DE-28FDB92BC57B.jpeg

@Baretta11 

Barbara , best idea for you is buy raised bed on legs , Bunnings have a few styles , I have some from hand me downs when new residents move in with their spare bits & pieces when they down size , they are easy to manage , you could buy a tall raised garden bed , wood or iron but they require a lot of soil . Once you have your plants established use a liquid fertiliser every 2 weeks to get good results , Regards Don

IDIG
Having an Impact

At the moment currently have planted & being picked & enjoyed by the residents , Spinach , Small leaf perpetual Spinach , Pick again lettuce , Hearting Lettuce , Broad Beans , Radish , Brussel Sprouts , Celery , Pack Choi , Carrots , Snow Peas , Spring Onions Salad Onions , Beetroot , Rhubarb , Parsley , Basil , Mint , Sorrel , Coriander , Sage , Rosemary , Chives , Silver Beet . Spinach grows well & responds to continual picking . Beetroot groves well but takes a long time to mature , Regards Don

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects