Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Courtyard reno (half DIY)

Nellstar
Building a Reputation

Courtyard reno (half DIY)

Hi all

I am currently updating my courtyard after the previous owner did a terrible DIY concrete pour that sat flush with the door causing flooding inside when it rained.

First step was manually breaking up about 8 tonne of concrete(lucky there was no rebars) . This ultimately showed multiple fences with rotted posts so am currently having these replaced,  I am replacing the hills with a Bunnings bought pull up Austral Addaline in woodland grey along the fence, adding more drainage before adding three L Shaped raised colourbond garden beds for growing fruit and veges and finally paving the area with a herringbone  pattern concret brick. During all this I am DIY repointing all the old morter on the walls (bags of morter also from bunnings) and replacing broken wall bricks.

Thanks!!

courtyard before.jpg

courtyard after.jpg

IMG_20200516_120417.jpg

IMG20200612144614.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: courtyard reno (half DIY)

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Nellstar.

It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for sharing your project. It's frustrating to fix issues caused by a previous owner but you are doing a terrific job rectifying them. The piece of mind knowing everything is perfect once you are done will be very rewarding.

We look forward to hearing about further updates on your project and can't wait to see the finished result. Please let us know if you ever need assistance with a project or have something to share with the community. I trust you'll find our members are very knowledgable and always willing to assist with any questions you have.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Courtyard reno (half DIY)

Looking forward to seeing your first update with progress @Nellstar. Many thanks for sharing and let me also extend a very warm welcome to the community. 

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

Nellstar
Building a Reputation

hi ...just wondering if anyone has some advise of the best height for raised gardens...i want to have two along the fence on the right which would be 60cm wide..the photo shows the sun reach on 19 Nov at 10.30am and im wondering if i should buy a 60cm or an 80cm high raised garden to make sure the veges get enough sun during the day? Thanks

Screenshot_2020-07-06-18-50-57-02.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Nellstar,

Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist. Do you get much more sun in that area during the day? The shadow appears to cover that entire area planned for veggie gardens. If that is the maximum amount of sun the area receives, an 80cm garden bed might get slightly more sunlight on the front edge. My concern would be the remainder of the bed not receiving any direct sunlight at all.

An 80cm garden bed might be more costly to fill, but it pays off with the ease of access. It is much nicer to work on the garden at a comfortable height of 80cm then to have to bend down to the 60cm height.

Mitchell

Nellstar
Building a Reputation

Thankyou Mitchell

That is good advice I will get the 80cm high ones! I can always shift the planter away from the fence abit too. I will have another bed on the opposite wall that will get sunlight all day summer and winter for veges that need more light.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects