Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Create a garden lawn in front of my home

shawnvaz
Getting Established

Create a garden lawn in front of my home

Hi All,

I need some advice on how to do front landscaping.

i want to put some natural grass and also grow some small plants and a tree.

it is a small area with slop towards my house.

can you please advise how i can do it?

1. How do i make the slope away from my house?

2. can use some wood sleepers to raise the rear to the front slopes towards the nature stripe?

3. what kind of soil do i need?

4. do i need any drains?

Please share if you have any information

Thanks
Shawn 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Create a garden lawn in front of my home

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @shawnvaz. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

You should find this step-by-step tutorial helpful: How to build a retaining wall by @Adam_W. This is how you would raise the soil to be level with the nature strip. Once you have created the retaining wall you would then fill behind it with soil. Depending on how much soil you need to raise the ground level you could to look at ordering some loose-fill mix for the bulk of the material. You can then add a top layer of garden soil and/or top dressing

If there is a current issue with drainage in the area then I would certainly advise addressing it and installing drainage at the same time as the retaining wall.

You might like to check out these previous discussions:

We look forward to hearing more about your project and perhaps some images would help our members in providing some great solutions.

Please let me know if you need further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects