Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Cucumbers

geej
Finding My Feet

Cucumbers

Over the years I've settled on Lebanese cucumbers as the best for the the soil and climate here.  Vey productive variety - 2-3 plants will supply ample for us and neighbours.  I've also learnt to start a second generation in January to give me fruit through to May.

This year I've experimented with 2 less common varieties - Mexican sour and Armenian.  The Armenians (also called the yard long or snake cucumber) technically aren't a cucumber - they are more a melon, but have real cucumber taste.  They have been very successful.  Lots of flowers, lots of cucumbers - the downside (if it is one) is that if you don't pick every second day, you end up with some pretty big fruit.  

The Mexican sour haven't been a success.  I get plenty of growth up a trellis and plenty of small fruit (2-3mm with a tiny flower on the end) but they never set.  They have been fertilised and watered the same as the Lebanese and the Armenian but aren't in sync with their more productive cousins.

Has anyone grown the Mexican sour and had success?  

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Cucumbers

Great to see you make you first post @geej. Thanks for kicking off the discussion. Where are you based? 

I haven't grown Mexican sour but can certainly confirm that you have to be careful with cucumbers to check them regularly at this time of year. I was watering last night and noticed we'd let a couple grow way too big last week. 

@bergs and @robchin might have some input on this topic. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
robchin
Becoming a Leader

I think a Mexican sour is another name for a Cucamelon? These are not very popular here but I note that Mr Fothergills does sell them so there must be a number of growers selling them. I've never grown these but I understand they have very shallow root systems compared with others in that family. So will require additional watering and some mulching. You may also have a problem with pollination as well. Watering at flower set is always crucial.
https://www.mrfothergills.com.au/cucamelon-mexican-gerkhin-not-available-to-wa.html
bergs
Making a Splash

Hi @geej, I have grown Lebanese and Apple cucumbers.

I have found that the apple have a lot of seeds and not much flesh and the wife doesn't like them, so now I only sow Lebanese.

They sprawl out and I'm a bit strapped for space, so this year I have used an old car roof rack to train them up.

They were a bit slow at getting a start this season but now have shot away now that the days and nights are warmer and there are plenty of flowers and have set a couple of fruit so far.

They do require plenty of water in the heat, so make sure the roots stay damp and don't let them dry out. If well watered their foliage will provide cover for the root system and the fruit.

I may have to shade mine seeing they are on a frame.

It's good to experiment with different varieties because then you can ascertain the best kind to grow for your area and pick the nicest ones for taste and yield.

First for the season, nearly readyFirst for the season, nearly ready

Cheers and Happy gardening:bigsmile:

Be happy and care for your tools
geej
Finding My Feet

Northeastern foothills of Adelaide

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects