Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Dale's Garden

Dale
Having an Impact

Dale's Garden

Hi everyone.  :smile:

I've got a bit of a vegie garden going.  Basically, we have the space, I enjoy growing my own food, and it's a great way to get the kids to eat vegies (nothing better than eating what YOU grew).  I also like taking close up photos of the vegies as they grow.  I find it's amazing what you can see when you look really closely.

corn.jpg

"Do you like my ears?"

My corn has started forming ears.

blackjack.jpg

Growing Blackjacks (zuchini)..... one plant can produce up to 4 a week.

spinach.jpg

Spinach and Silverbeet harvest from a month ago.

Dale
Having an Impact

Re: Dale's Garden

This wierd weather this last week has certainly agreed with two things.  My brocolli seeds and "meadow mushrooms" growing in the back lawn.

20160508_172305.jpg

20160508_173356.jpg

This is about half of this batch.  Normally get mushrooms growing right through to July in our back lawn.  Boscaiola for dinner tonight!

Next year try to plant some flowers to attract the bees. You may include some edible flowers too.
I add the edible flowers to the salad and they are always a good conversation starter in a dinner party.

Happy gardening!
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

G'day Jason & MartyH

Our attempt at growing carrots resulted in distorted stumpies like yours. I googled around & found that the carrot is sort of the root system, & that too much fertilising makes them lazy.

I think Dale's onto it with his deep loose soil & natural goodness from the worms.

I've done the first thining of the carrots.  OMG they taste fantastic!  We had chicken stir fry tonight.  :wink:

20160524_155929.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Dale,

It's been a while since we've heard from you. How's your garden going?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Helen
Having an Impact

Enjoyed this discussion. My veg garden is looking very sad, I off to Bunnings to get blood & bone etc. check out seedlings for autumn planting. Water tank near full, having some rain as well, feeling inspired to get on!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects