Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Damage to agave plants

AndreaNg
Having an Impact

Damage to agave plants

Hello,

I have some agave plants that suffered over the winter and are now looking straggly. Just wondering what I can do to make them look better and flourish again. Can I just give them a trim with secateurs?

Damaged.jpg

greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Re: Damage to agave plants

It's best to cover agaves if frost is expected overnight. But as for the damage, pruning after winter is okay. Succulents are pretty tough, although you will hear people say that they don't like having healthy leaves being removed and can die back if you get too carried away with trimming. See how you go with secateurs. Some agaves you will need a pruning saw. 

Kim2
Building a Reputation

Poor agave :unhappy:
I usually give my damaged/pest riddled plants some worm poo/worm tea to give them a boost and help their growth. If you happen to live in Sydney I'd be happy to give you some for free!
AndreaNg
Having an Impact

That's a very kind offer, thank you Kimlee. Unfortunately I am based in Melbourne. Would seaweed solution do the same to give the plant a boost?

Kim2
Building a Reputation

Something like Seasol? I have never used it on my succulents or agaves but I reckon a very diluted seaweed solution would be great! Poor agave could do with some bonus nutrients :wink:
Happy gardening!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects