Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do you think clover should be killed off?

CathD
Making a Splash

Do you think clover should be killed off?

Hi everyone.

I recently Googled for tips to kill off the clover on my lawn after not having great success in previous years with off-the-shelf products. I was surprised to read that some people think it actually helps the lawn, offering nitrogen and keeping other weeds down. It’s also apparently good for bees.

What do you think, should I leave it alone? I’m just worried one day it will completely take over and I won’t have any grass left… You can see here that it doesn't look great. 

Clover.JPG

Ta,

Cath

bluebec
Building a Reputation

Re: Do you think clover should be killed off?

Lawns are often a monoculture of just one plant, and that's a bad thing for the soil.  Clover (or a mix of grasses) is far better for the soil and for the environment.  In the end, it's your yard. If you don't like the way that the clover looks then you can attempt to get rid of it, but it is helping keep your lawn healthy.

Also, if you have family that are allergic to bees, or small children who inevitably attract bee stings, then reducing the amount of clover is probably going to be a good thing.

You can use the boiling water to kill the plant method - just don't get boiling water on your lawn because it'll die too.

Thank you, I will give boiling water a try. 

KenH
Getting Established

There are many varieties of clover. I am replanting my lawn with a low growing version to save money and work. My desire is to cater for butterflies, and other insects.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects