Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Eradicating Red Trumpet Vine Campsis Radicans

aussiblue
Having an Impact

Eradicating Red Trumpet Vine Campsis Radicans

Any tips on how to legally and safely get rid of this for good?  I have been fighting this plant since circa 1985.   It laughs at Roundup and all other herbicides; at best they burn off the new shoots. It likes to grow up against the super six fence and gets under the fence and in the sheet joints breaking the fence.  It also grows up against the trunks of other shrubs and tree killing them by blocking out the sun (and making the use of chemical herbicides more difficult).  Yes; the honeyeaters love nesting in it and feeding on the flowers but they also spread the seeds in their poop so it is popping up in adjoining blocks along fence lines well away from my infestation. I've also see it in bushland in the area; I hope my "Audrey II" (per the people eating plant in Little Shop of Horrors) wasn't the source.  I thought I had beaten her about 20 years ago when I had the kids pet rabbits fenced in around her and they ate all the new shoots that popped up. But when the rabbits left "Audrey II"  returned with vengence.  Goats and/or Pigs would probably work but the RSPCA, neighbours and Council would doubtless frown on this.  Despite the noisy protests of the honeyeaters, I keep lopping it and clipping off or killing all the new shoots with herbicides. But she persists and as soon as I show any vulnerability (e.g. temporarily away or incapacitated by illness) and neglect my lopping and trimming she resumes control of the garden. My tip is don't ever plant one in Perth metro. I am suprised it's not a declared noxious weed. If the WWII nuclear war happens I am sure it will survive along with the roaches. It's even a pest in it's native USA see: http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2203179/how-to-get-rid-of-trumpet-vine

greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Re: Eradicating Red Trumpet Vine Campsis Radicans

You have my sympathies as you are going to need to be very vigilant and patient to win this battle. The key will be to dig to the roots and remove everything. Good luck.

The problem with digging the roots out is that in this part of Bibra Lake (well at least on my block) there is a solid limestone layer under the top soil varying between a few inches and a foot intermingled with limestone boulders. I guess these vines also like limestone. On the postive side I guess the roots of the vine appear to be slowly splitting and breaking limestone layer into smaller pieces so future generations may see a benefit.

Oh and in now researching Audrey's affinity to limestone have just discovered that it is toxic to most mammals so there goes the pigs and goats solution (see http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/trees/plants/trumpet_creeper.htm ). It seems the pets rabbits were immune though as it was myxomatosis that eventually got the rabbits and some that escaped the myxomatosis were rehomed elsewhere and lived long and happy lives.

Perhaps I should try the vinegar as suggested here http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/644/ but will it kill all my other adjacent plants? It also mentions something called Vine-X being successful. Though not available in Australia, its constituants are listed here https://www.landsteward.org/page.cfm/10239 so I might be able to find a similar product.

I'll try this https://www.bunnings.com.au/yates-250ml-tree-and-blackberry-weed-killer_p3010221 albeit very reluctantly as it seems almost as noxious as the vine.

sprayman
Getting Established

I had too look up what it looked like.

When I worked in parks and reserves in Auckland, we had many noxious vines that caused a lot of trouble for homeowners when they started encroaching onto their property or strangling the native trees.

Trying to spray or dig them out was not a feasible option.

The best way is to either drill and fill, or cut and paste.

Triclopyr or a picloram based product would work well (tordon brushkiller, grazon or vigilant gel).

Clear around the vine and cut close to the ground.

Remove a small section to enable you better access.

Apply with a paintbrush a 25% triclopyr/grazon 75% water mix (or the gel) while the cut is still fresh.

don't worry about what's hanging in your trees or over the fence, it has no food source and will soon dry out making it easier to remove.

www.weedbusters.org.nz is also a helpful tool to help identify and control weeds in nz

Hope this helps.

I bought some of that (this in fact https://www.bunnings.com.au/yates-250ml-tree-and-blackberry-weed-killer_p3010221 ) but I have been told not to use it as it will kill the New Holland Honeyeaters and the Wattlebirds that nest in it and feed on the flowers of the trumpet vine (and doubtless spreads its seeds). While they are not an at risk bird species I haven't the heart to kill harmless song birds.

I'll continue my ongoing campaign of pruning to ground level, drilling holes in the stump and pouring water into those hole.  Unfortunately it is now also established on the other side of the fence in a rental property at rear of our block and is pushing that fence down.  The tenants are powerless to help as the owner doesn't see an issue and I can't attack a vine that is not on my property.  I also see it is also started growing along the front fence boudary of the property across the road as well so I think it's on its way to taking over the suburb.

I had a similar vine, purple trumpet type flower with thorns that could grow so big and sharp you could fashion weapons with them.  I thought i dug it out, put round up on roots but yes it rew back with a vengeance.  The next attempt was more successful, I dug further, it appeared to be growing out of stone or concrete, any drilled down as far as i could hacked away as much as possible and drowned what was left in round up and petrol.  My neighbor wasnt happy with the kill as she used the thorns to discourage kids climbing her fence!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects