Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Filing a raised garden bed

Charli
Finding My Feet

Filing a raised garden bed

We have just purchased the L shaped raised garden bed in an attempt to have a vegetable garden. We purchased some potting mix to go in it, but I am wondering what else should be in it to fill it up. I have read branches and things, but unfortunately we don't have access to these (unless I trim a few of the trees around but thought the branches had to be old and dry). Should we also place weed matting underneath everything ?

We are hoping to just grow seasonal vegetables, but are very new to gardening - particularly setting up a new one. 

Thanks in advance for any assistance. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Filing a raised garden bed

Welcome to the community @Charli. We're really pleased to have you join us and look forward to seeing your new garden bed flourishing soon. 

First question is - what are you planning to grow? That might affect what you should use in your new garden bed. 

Let me also direct you to some recent discussions about filling raised garden beds that you might find very useful:

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you! I had a quick look through discussions and didn't find all the ones you have listed. I will read those now. 

We are just wanting to grow seasonal vegetables 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

No worries @Charli,

Have a look and come back to us with any specific questions. As this is a topic that has come up so many times in the past few weeks I've asked one of our resident horticulturalists, the amazing @Noelle, to write a step-by-step guide for our Best of Workshop section.

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi again @Charli,

Just wanted to let you know that the wonderful @Noelle has just published that step-by-step guide that I mentioned last week. How to fill a raised garden bed includes a list of tools and materials that you would need. We trust you find it very helpful for your project. 

Let us know if you need a hand with anything else. 

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects