Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Flowers for cake decoration

Rin
Finding My Feet

Flowers for cake decoration

Kia ora, 

I'm looking at growing pretty flowers that can be sometimes used for cake decoration ie non toxic. Do you have some nice recommendations? I have quite a small area raised garden that i want to dedicate to flowers and herbs so can't be anything too prolific like mint! Much appreciated e hoa mā. 🙏

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Flowers for cake decoration

Great topic @Rin, many thanks for kicking it off. Do the flowers need to be edible or just non-toxic?

Let me tag the wonderful @Noelle to see if she can share her thoughts. 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We are looking forward to reading more about your garden and all your projects around the home. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Rin 

There are many flowers that are non-toxic and can be edible, or at least used as decoration on foods but not eaten.  These include many herb flowers as well as some annuals.  A few that come to mind are:

Violas and pansies (Johnny Jump-ups in particular)

Nasturtium

Allium (onion family)

Calendula

Marigold

Borage

Chamomile

Mint (in a pot)

Rose petals

Do a little research online for others that would be suitable. 

You will sometimes find edible flowers ready to go in greengrocers and at fresh food markets. I've also seen an Edible Flowers Selection in a packet seed range!

Before eating or using any flower on food, check out its status online to be absolutely certain it is safe to use in this way.

Rin
Finding My Feet

Ngā mihi Noelle, this is excellent help :smile: thank you so much. This will make my trip to Bunnings Grey Lynn more informed!

Rin
Finding My Feet

Thanks Jason 😊 I'm thinking either edible or non toxic! Both ok. Thankyou for tagging in Noelle. Great support. Noho ora mai

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects