Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Found a burried pvc pipe while i was mowing lawn

vick87
Getting Established

Found a burried pvc pipe while i was mowing lawn

Hello everyone 

i need help regarding i pipe i just found in my backyard , it is two pipes (doubled up ) outer pipe is demaged got a crack but the pipe inside is all good , does anyone knows what this pipe is for and do i need to leave it exposed or i can put a cap on and cover it up with soil again ? 

Thanks in advance 

AEC95631-A262-447F-A92B-F961A3F484E7.jpeg

10843E49-ED2A-42A5-B6E5-6C4D5B993489.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: found a burried pvc pipe while i was mowing lawn

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @vick87. It's fantastic that you've joined us and many thanks for your question about this mysterious pipe.

I'm not really sure what's going on there, but I suspect it might be linked with the other drain/grate in your yard. At first glance, it doesn't really look like just two pipes doubled up that are open. What's in the top there that's blocking it? Could it be some type of internal cap pushed into a damaged pipe? Can you pull that section out to open the pipe?

Given that there doesn't appear to be any inspection outlet on top of the pipe, I'd imagine you would be fine capping it. Whoever did the work on it obviously didn't intend for it to be regularly accessed. If you can open the pipe and run a garden hose down it, you might be able to detect that water through the other inspection outlet/drain if they are connected. If that doesn't work, run the hose down the other grated drain and see if you can notice the water in the mystery pipe. If they are connected, I'd say it's just remnants of a legacy system that should have been capped off and buried.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
vick87
Getting Established

Thank you 

the pipe inside is very tight i dont think it can be opened or remived and i have checked the pipe by diggind around further and it is in good shape underneath 

i just wanted to make sure its not something that needs to be exposed now i will put a cap on and burry it again 

Thank you for help 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@vick87,

If it was something that needed access, it should've had a Holman 100mm PVC DWV Bolted Trap Screw or Holman 150 x 150mm D Square Grate on it, much the same as the other grate in your yard. Without conducting further investigation as to what it's connected to, I can't, unfortunately, tell you whether it's something that needs to be exposed.

Got any house plans, which show the stormwater/sewage pipes in them?

Mitchell

vick87
Getting Established

I have  just found a little gap around the pipe 

It is a cap and i tried to pour in some water and its going into the the other inspection pipe next to it 

now my only concern is to fix the pipe crack underneath dont know if i need to replace this whole pipe or there is a way to repair it as it is and burry it again ? 

5A83555E-A321-4365-8780-4D386ED21B90.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I presume it's stormwater @vick87.

No need for the pipe to be sealed. The other one with the grate isn't. Unless you have a torrential downpour, the pipe isn't pressurised and can remain open. I'd imagine it is just this upright that is cracked and not the mainline beneath. You could dig down until you pass the crack, expose good pipe, cut it there, and glue on another cap. You'll find it difficult to cut the pipe down lower unless you dig a large hole.

Unless you are experiencing issues associated with water escaping there, if it were me, I'd just put the soil back over it as is. Alternatively, you could try some of this T-Rex 48mm x 1.5m Strong Waterproofing Tape.

Mitchell

vick87
Getting Established

Thank you for the help 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects