Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fragrant plant suggestions that flower all year round?

benjiii
Just Starting Out

Fragrant plant suggestions that flower all year round?

Hi there, I’m planting 84 planter boxes and need something that’s gonna stand the sun and winter there outside and in the weather and I want them to smell really nice seeing as there’s so many it would be beautiful to smell them and I can’t spend a fortune 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What plants are fragrant all year round, looks great in industrial planter boxes, and are cheap?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @benjiii. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about fragrant plants.

I apologise for the delay in my reply. 84 planter boxes is certainly a large quantity. Can you let our helpful members know what size these planter boxes are, as that will help them identify suitable plants for them? 

You might like to read these helpful guides on How to choose plants for hanging baskets and 10 scented plants to grow in pots. Most of the plants listed will also be suitable for your planter boxes. 

One of my favourite planter choices is lavender, which flowers most of the year. There are many varieties available, with plenty of different colour choices.

To mix it up a little, why not grow some plants with scented foliage? @mich1972 recently created a discussion on How to start a sensory garden. It's certainly worth a read.

Let me mention @mich1972 to see if she has any favourites.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Fragrant plant suggestions that flower all year round.

Good Morning @benjiii There’s nothing better than fragrant flowers in our gardens !! But they are all seasonal and flower at different times of the year. It’s best to choose fragrant flowers as they become available throughout the different seasons of the year and then you will have a good variety. You can also have different fragrant foliage plants as well and they will give you different fragrances as you rub your hands on them and brush past them. 

Here’s a few fragrances off the top of my head 

Port Wine Magnolia - heavy fragrance , smells like Juicy Fruit Chewing Gum , I grow it in our garden. 

Jasmine - Chinese Star is the best.  

All other Jasmine varieties are strongly scented. 

Gardenias

Lavenders

Murrayas

Roses - especially David Austin Varieties 

Wisterias

There are different varieties of fragrant bulbs like 

freesias

hyacinth

lilliums

daffodils

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

@benjiii @Check out Adam’s write up about fragrant plants 😊 this will help you 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I do apologise, @benjiii; I should have referenced that article. Here's the How to choose fragrant plant article @mich1972 is referring to.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects