Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Frangipani uprooted

Morris
Just Starting Out

Frangipani uprooted

Hi everyone. Quick question for the green thumbs out there. My favourite Frangipani tree which is about 10 years old got uprooted in the storms yesterday. I've put it back upright but there was some damage to the roots. Just wondering if it will live? Is there anything I can do to help it along? 

CathD
Making a Splash

Re: Frangipani uprooted

Sorry to hear of the damage. The tree should be okay though. The roots are easily damaged but frangipanis can be transplanted so yours should be fine. I would give it some support with stakes so it doesn't fall again because of the soft earth and after it has recovered a little from the shock give it a good feed with organic matter and/or seaweed solution. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@CathM might also be able to assist you @Morris as she is based on the Sunshine Coast and might have a frangipani or two growing in her beautiful garden.

Good luck.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Think they are hard to kill, the one at home gets minimal care and a regular haircut and it still is over 3m tall.
CathM
Cultivating a Following

Hi Morris, with the recent storms we've seen a lot of trees uprooted, especially ones that are top heavy with shallow roots, like the Frangipani!

It should be ok to regrow, so firstly prop it back up and secure with star pickets and some wide rope or straps. Be gentle around the main stem, so try wrapping around a few stems to secure it back into place.

Don't over-water it (actually don't water at all) as it's probably water-logged anyway and could be prone to disease getting into roots from so much water around.

As we're coming into cooler months it will start to drop leaves, but a good indication it's still ok is solid stems (when you gently squeeze stems they should be firm not soft and muchy!) and no sign of rotting.

Hopefully there's still plenty of sunny days to help it dry out and reset into the ground. 

The other option is to cut off the larger stems, dry out the cut for a few days and then replant in the ground to grow a new tree. You may get many pieces from the original one and have many growing around your garden!

I hope this helps, please ask any other questions you have.

Cath :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects