Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Full shade tolerant veggies

Prakashk85
Growing in Experience

Full shade tolerant veggies

Hi!

Just wondering what can be grown in full shade area.

This is going to be my second year into gardening. Last year being the very first time for any gardening activity for me, I was not very sure what to plant in full shade area (fence shade) of my backyard garden (was not sure of whole lot of other things about gardening as well, lol) and hence didnt do anything in there.

Having a tiny backyard, I really want to make use of this shady area.

Checked few things online, they all use the terms "partial shade" and "shade", so not sure whether the plants suggested by them would grow in full shade area.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Prakash

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Full shade tolerant veggies

Hi @Prakashk85

Check out this guide: Shade-loving plants for your garden. @Noelle, @LisasGarden and @Adam_W may also be able to provide more ideas.

It would be fantastic to see what you've done in your garden so far and keep us updated on what you choose to plant.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Prakashk85,

I would assume your garden gets at least a small amount of sun each day. Can you please confirm? 

I would be looking at root vegetables and leafy greens, but you will still need at least some sun each day to have success. 

Jason

Prakashk85
Growing in Experience

Thanks Stevie!

Prakashk85
Growing in Experience

Hello @Jason ,

It does get sun for very very tiny bit of time during summer due to the way fence and the house shadowing this area. Please see attached picture. I am talking about the area along the fence.

I kind of thought to build a two layer planter box like the picture below for this area. I think in that case, the bottom later will not get any sun at all!

Screenshot_20210617-214049_Facebook.jpg

20210812_105315.jpg

Apart from leafy greens and root veggies, will a hybrid tea rose survive if i place the pot in this area? Top of the rose plant may reach around 3/4th of the fence height.

Thanks!

Prakash

Hi @Prakashk85,

I'd agree that veggies will struggle to grow on the lower portion of that style planter box in your conditions. In saying that, though, even in the full direct sun, they'll still struggle as the top almost completely shades the lower portion. You'll find that if you plant on the front edge, the plants will naturally grow out to reach sunlight. You can expect those on the lower level to become quite lanky searching for light, and the crop will be reduced compared to the top portion.

How many hours a day does this area appear as in your image? My veggie gardens are in a similar location, though they aren't in the shade. Most veggies I've tried grow quite well in these conditions as long as they receive indirect sunlight for several hours a day.

You might find it's a bit of a trial-and-error type approach you'll need to take. You'll soon find out what will thrive, survive or die off.

As with most roses, a hybrid tea rose is best suited to full sun locations. With the inadequate sun, you'll see poor-quality blooms, a higher chance of foliar disease, lanky and an overall weaker plant. Foliar diseases are a major problem with roses, and hybrid teas are especially susceptible.

Please let us know if you have more questions.

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc,

Yes, as the house wall faces north and has windows & glass doors, this area gets indirect lights during peak day time, say till 3pm during summer and less in winter. Please see below picture I took around noon today.

20210813_120840.jpg

Thanks for clarifying about positioning the rose plant. Would Daisy (below picture) thrive in this area? If so can I plant them on the ground or should go with a nice big planter/pot?

20210813_120830.jpg

If even Daisy wouldnt work well, I'll go with just Leafy Greens & Root Veggies in single tier raised planters (that I am planning to build using pallets from Bunnings Tarneit once lockdown is over - hope it ends soon!).

@Prakashk85,

It sounds like you get a reasonable amount of sun, and I believe you'll have some success, especially with the leafy greens and root vegetables.

Daisies are suitable for planting in part-shade, so they should do fine. You might like to plant them in pots anyway, as you'll easily be able to move them if needed.

Mitchell 

Thanks @MitchellMc !

I ll update when I progress :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects