Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Garden barrier wall ideas

autumn79
Getting Established

Garden barrier wall ideas

Hi Everyone,

We inherited this broken brick fence with our 40's brick home and we would like to remove it completely. There is a lot of soil that need to be retained. Our options are pine sleepers or a low barrier wall of some sort.

We have 4k to spend on the front garden and are trying to work out whether to put a low barrier merbu screen wall or a picket fence.

If we go a low budget way we will have money to pay a local gardener to help us design the garden and to buy plants.

What do you think will look nice as a barrier wall - low barrier fence (which looks nice),  no fence but beautiful garden, or a contemporary picket fence?
Please give me a few ideas.IMG_7966.jpeg

Broken front fence

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Garden barrier wall ideas

Having similar problems of finding options that work while not looking awful or tacky is hard.

Having a levelish block went with a low red brick fence with 12mm square gates in black. If going for just a retaining wall with sleepers Jarrah would blend into the house better than pine. I am going to try using Screen Up to cover some of the sins of the back yard and that should look ok as a low fence with red slats ( I will use Ekodeck Redrock to avoid oiling or painting ) and you could use red oxide to colour the concrete base.
autumn79
Getting Established

Thanks for the response Brad. Do you reackon going with Jarrah and then covering up with an Ecodeck screen work for us?
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I think something could be worked out around that.

If I am right there is 4 bricks in the retaining wall, so no more than 400mm high? Length is?

Will have a think while I am busy today doing flooring.
autumn79
Getting Established

Thank's for the response Brad. The remaining bricks will probably have to be removed so we might knock the pillars down and take down the broken fence and start from scratch if that makes sense.
The length of the fence should be between 11-12 metres and the height around 400 sounds good.
autumn79
Getting Established

fence.jpg
I as at bunnings this afternoon and had a look at the diffrent options. I'm kind of leaning towards the retaining wall on the left of the photo in the lil' insert. 

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

That would work and looks better than -

Looks like they have used decking.

Interested to know how they got the batten look?

autumn79
Getting Established

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

First time I have seen a retaining wall anchored into the bank instead of using concreted in posts.

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

@autumn79
Proper Engineered retaining wall detail was posted here

Masonry Retaining walls and since its adjacent to the verge

I'd be checking with Council as some require plans

BTW retaining  walls and ground soil anchors need to be checked for durability and robustness..... no-one wishes to  maintain retaining walls

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects