Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Garden bed and drainage

nickluu73
Finding My Feet

Garden bed and drainage

Hi all,

I am looking to install the garden bed 300mm x 15m on the long side of the fencing.

Should I need to install a drainage system?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Garden bed and drainage

Hello @nickluu73

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's awesome to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about garden drainage.

Would it be possible for you to post pictures of your proposed garden site? This will give our members a good idea of how your garden is situated. We can then offer you advice and information on how to effectively lay it out. In response to your question, yes, it is ideal to set up a drain system especially if your garden has a slope. The last thing you want to happen is to create a mud puddle in your garden. 

We look forward to seeing the photos.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

IMG_1669.jpgIMG_1670.jpgIMG_1671.jpg

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your reply. Photos are uploaded.

The red string line is the level of the paving. The garden bed/retaining wall is 300mm in height from the red string line.

Cheers

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @nickluu73

Thank you for posting the photos of your proposed garden area. Just to be clear on the location of the drain, are you asking if a drain needs to be placed under the garden bed or outside the garden bed? The only reason that you would put a drain under the garden bed is because water is not draining away. However, if placed outside, the best spot to put it in is along the area where water is most likely to puddle into. I recommend using Vinidex 100mm x 20m Socked Slotted Draincoil.

Before you begin your garden, I suggest doing a "percolating test". Dig a hole in your garden area approximately 300 to 400mm deep at 150mm in diameter. Fill it up with water and let it settle overnight. This will drench the hole and give you a more accurate reading tomorrow. In the morning fill the hole up with water and measure the amount of drain occurring. Measure how many millimetres it drops every hour. The ideal drain is 50mm per hour. If it drains too quickly the soil will need to be modified otherwise the plants will be parched. 

I suggest building a raised garden bed as an option, it gives you better control of the soil quality and drainage. Modifying your existing soil is time intensive and you will need to keep a close watch on your plants for signs of dehydration. 

Here is a handy step_by-step guide: How to build a raised garden bed by @Adam_W 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your information.

As my 300mm garden bed wall will also be a "retaining wall" as the neighbour's ground is about 200mm higher. From this retaining wall perspective, should I need to install ag pipe under the garden bed?

Cheers

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nickluu73

If in the past you've had water coming from the neighbour's side of the fence, I would put the agi-pipe next to the fence with a conservative gap of 100mm. Just keep in mind the slope of the ground, the direction of your agi-pipe and where it will exit. Your objective is to re-direct the water out of the area towards the appropriate drain. The water overflowing from your neighbour's property could possibly flow into your garden bed and flood it if it is right next to it. I suggest giving it a gap so that water flows into the agi-pipe instead.

I don't recommend placing an agi-pipe under your garden, it will have the unintended consequence of parching your garden bed. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to post them.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your garden bed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects