Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Garden beds out of control - help stop the weeds!

stupidfish
Building a Reputation

Garden beds out of control - help stop the weeds!

I need help.

In our front yard we have a couple of garden beds that run the length of our driveway. Over the last few months these have become a breeding ground for weeds and grasses. I pull them all out and it feels like a week later they are back again.

I'm assuming that poison might end up killing the other plants as well so have been reluctant to use that.

What can I do to fix this so I am not constantly weeding?

greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Re: Garden beds out of control - help stop the weeds!

Do you know what kinds of weeds are you are combating? You might be inadvertinently spreading them if you are only pulling out the top of the weed and leaving bulbs in the ground. If you're not sure, try taking a picture and posting here. It would also be handy to know what type of plants you have in your garden beds to know whether they could tolerate weed sprayers, although generally if you are careful and only directly spray the weeds you shouldn't have any problems.

greygardener
Becoming a Leader

@stupidfish

I should have also suggested you give boiling water a try rather than pulling weeds out by hand. Just obviously be careful around your other plants. 

CathD
Making a Splash

Persevere and you will eventually win the battle. I'm currently fighting a battle with an unwanted wisteria....

stupidfish
Building a Reputation

Thanks @greygardener and @CathD - I'll give the boiling water a go and see how that works!
greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Good luck @stupidfish. Let us know how you go. If you don't have any luck, do take a few photos and put them up here - it should help more easily identify the problem. 

Thanks - will do!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects