Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Garden bridge made from Bunnings fence palings

Poppop
Making a Splash

Garden bridge made from Bunnings fence palings

IMAG1566.jpg

caxelby
Getting Established

Re: Garden bridge made from Bunnings fence palings

Hi Poppop, I am relatively new to woodworking and am self taught this far. I have a somewhat silly question about the underneath supports for your garden bridge. How did you mark out the nice curve, especially so that both sides are exactly the same?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @caxelby. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a curve on timber.

Hopefully, @Poppop can get back to us with his method, but in the meantime, here's a method you can try. Take a length of string, fix it to a solid point, and tie a pencil on the other end. Place your timber on the ground and adjust the length of the string to suit your desired arc. Whilst holding the string taught, mark out your arc. Once you've cut out your arc, you can transfer it to the other section of timber by placing it on top and marking around its perimeter.

As long as you keep the string taught, you can get some really accurate arcs with this method.

Were you considering building this wonderful project? If so, we'd love to see some pictures once you're done.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Poppop
Making a Splash

Hi @caxelby There was actually no Science to how i made the arches. I marked the middle of the board and drew the curves freehand to meet at the middle point. It took a few goes to get the curve I wanted. I then clamped a second board to the first and cut the arch out with a jigsaw to get two identical arches.

Good luck with your project.
                                                              Dave.

caxelby
Getting Established

E3BE5C8B-3B77-4A11-A15C-A5E34CEFFD9E.jpeg

  

Thanks to this post and the group here, I have made my first garden bridge! Made from treated pine supports and Merbau pailings. Learnt many things making this! Thanks all!!

6E9BE196-BEC0-4B17-8EA3-2C29F5210485.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

What a fabulous result, @caxelby! You've created a neat feature that I'm sure would be quite at home in many of our gardens.

Well done, and many thanks for sharing your results, as I trust they'll inspire many of our members to give the project a go themselves.

Mitchell

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Let me also add my congratulations @caxelby. It's so inspiring to see people have a go and end up with a fantastic result. Well done. 

What are you going to tackle next?

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects