Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Garden planter stand

JI
Cultivating a Following

Garden planter stand

I have been slowly building a collection of succulents. I asked hubby to make me a simple stand, maybe with pallet wood and some sleepers. He ended making me an awesome 3 tiered stand. It took 2 sleepers, 12 fence pailings, appropriate screws, and finished with a coat of varnish. 

Photos of stand with and without plants. Terracotta pots are also from bunnings.

20210102_110319.jpg

20201212_165535.jpg

Community Manager's note: Inspired by this fantastic project, our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc has provided a step-by-step guide to building your own tiered plant stand. We look forward to seeing your own creations.   

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Garden planter stand

Now this looks fantastic @JI  !!!!! 🥰🥰

JI
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Mich1972..hubby has been to two Bunnings to source more wood for another stand, but they're low on stock or what's available is pretty warped. I might have to design something different as a challenge for him.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Nice one, many many thanks for sharing @JI. I'm sure it will inspire others.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Benskimo
Making a Splash

Great job, thanks for sharing! The colour of the timber really complements the pots and plants. Nice one!

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks for sharing...  it looks just like what I need and is a simple, yet effective design too.

JI
Cultivating a Following

Thank you. The only downside is that the sleepers make the whole thing quite heavy so moving it isn't fun.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @JI 

Excellent work by hubby! Those succulents look beautiful. If I may suggest to plan out the next 3 levels as I suspect when the time comes to split the succulents you will need more space. Just thinking ahead when you get more.

Cheers!

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @JI 

I'm afraid my next suggestion will make your plant stand even heavier. But it will possibly provide you with more space. Using rough sawn 50 x 25 he can make a frame for additional shelves and mount it direct to the sleeper frame he already made.

Cheers,

Red 

PSX_20210131_101858.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

JI
Cultivating a Following

Oh wow @redracer01. Thanks for the sketch. We were initially looking at doing a tall stand, but were worried about the amount of light it would block. 

This is only half my collection. The rest is on a bunnings shelving unit, whilst stand #2 is being built. At the moment, many of the succulents aren't liking the spot as they're leaning towards the sun. Prior to this, they were on the outdoor dining and we could never have a meal outside 😁

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects