Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Gardening HELP NEEDED

AFA
Getting Established

Gardening HELP NEEDED

I have a very large garden but everything I buy to plant dies on me...is it me loving them too much???  I am particularly good at killing hanging pot plants.  Spent $100 on hanging plants at Bunnings a month ago and of the 6 I purchased, only 2 survive. What am I doing wrong???

greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Re: Gardening HELP NEEDED

Welcome to Workshop @AFA. I'm sure there will be plenty of community members happy to help. 

Let's start with the pot plants. What were they? Can you please tell us what kind of an area they are in? Are they undercover? Do they get any or much sun? How much were you watering them? Had you given them any food?

By the way, Bunnings has a "perfect plant promise" - a 12 month guarantee. See https://www.bunnings.com.au/returns

greygardener
Becoming a Leader

This might also help - https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/garden/planting-and-growing/what-to-plant-in-spring

It has some ideas about what to plant at this time of year according to what area you live in.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

It's fantastic to have you join us on Workshop @AFA. Many thanks for signing up and making your first post. 

I'm sure that there will be many community members eager to give you a hand with your garden. As @greygardener mentioned, if you'd just like to reply with a little more information then we can start to assist. 

You might also be interested in these previous discussions on Workshop:

Thanks again for joining us.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

What kind of pots do you have @AFA?

If they don't have drainage holes then the roots can drown and the plants quickly die. So yes, you might be giving them plenty of love and water but killing them...

AFA
Getting Established

Isobel - going to check all the holes to check later today...sounds like this may be this issue. Thanks
AFA
Getting Established

Thank you this link is AWESOME...much to do and get ready.

AFA
Getting Established

They were Fushias and strawberries.  I am in country qld near the NSW border and the plants are hanging under the verandah - quite shady but I occassionally put them out into the sunshine.  Watered daily.  Feed them when I brought them home and thats when things went wroing.

Deb235
Finding My Feet

Check you have the right plants for the right location, ie shade-loving plants in the shade, sun-loving in the sun, etc. Getting the right watering balance is tricky. Pots dry out quickly in summer. Are you feeding them and giving them a good soil base to start from? Also, pruning off the dead bits helps them to flourish.
LilShep
Getting Established

Hi @ AFA, can you tell me what you fed your plants with when you got home please? Are the Fushias getting morning sun only as afternoon sun can be to hot for them but your strawberries will love the sunny spots. Watering in the morning reduces the risk of disease and try not to overhead water them especially strawberries as this can promote fungus. I always recommend using a liquid wetting agent for established potted plants especially hanging ones as this not only helps with watering but also it minimizes stress that plants face in warmer weather.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects