Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Geo cloth to stop insects from getting into raised garden beds?

Muzza7
Just Starting Out

Geo cloth to stop insects from getting into raised garden beds?

What Geo cloth product can I use to prevent insect, caterpillar, and other bugs from passing through the cloth, as well as the weeds

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Geo cloth

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Muzza7. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Geo cloth.

Geotextile fabric is typically used as drainage matting to prevent sediment movement. It will work as a weed matting, but you might like to consider actual weed matting, which is slightly more budget-friendly.

I haven't seen Geotextile used as crop protection, and I'd be concerned that it might not allow enough light to transfer through it. Once again, crop protection netting is the specific product suitable for this purpose. It's similar to bird netting but with a much finer weave, inhibiting insects from getting to your trees and crops.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

C64350E2-2BA5-42F2-BF8B-B5BA76245420.jpeg

 Existing location.

3D14B70F-4299-420B-AB51-2E083B3EBD27.jpeg

 Garden-beds to be relocated and added to into this location.

Thanks Mitchell.

I am talking about a cloth laid on/under the ground to allow water to drain away and at the same time prevent weed from growing up through it. I first worked with this cloth while on construction of our States Railway lines servicing the mining industry in the North West WA.

I now wish to relocate above ground garden beds purchased from Bunnings, from a paved area where they are directly on top of the pavers, to a new garden area which is on a well drained sandy soil, and I am worried about insects in the soil attacking the garden from below.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Thanks for the additional information, @Muzza7

If you were to lay any of our Geotextile fabrics, they would inhibit insects from gaining access to the bottom of the beds. Something like GRUNT 1 x 10m Non Woven Geo Textile Membrane Drain Mat Fabric would be fine.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects