Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Getting rid or root knot nematode

SeanLing
Finding My Feet

Getting rid or root knot nematode

Who would have thought something so small could be so destructive? We've recently discovered the garden soil is infested with root knot nematode and so have dug in heaps of sheep poop and compost and planted a green manure crop of mustard. Here's hoping by next spring when the mustard has been dug in and is breaking down we will have it under control. Anybody had the same problem and want to share some tips on what they tried?
greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Re: Getting rid or root knot nematode

My comiserations @SeanLing. It sounds like a really destructive pest. Where are you based? I assume its somewhere warm?

Reading this Gardening Australia factsheet, it seems you are doing everything right - http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s2534493.htm

Please let us know how you go.

Re: Getting rid or root knot nematode

Hello GrayGardener - thank you for your support. I live in Frankston, Melbourne. They say you never appreciate something if it's gained too easily so when we finally have this problem under control it will feel like a major achievement. Most of the garden was concrete when we bought the house so it will take some time to get the soil back to a state of vitality. Best of luck in your garden.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects