Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Growing and caring of citrus plants

stellabella
Getting Established

Growing and caring of citrus plants

Can anyone please give me some advise? I have few citrus trees.  One of the citrus never have fruit and the other citrus ‘s  fruit are very tiny. 

Also, I have this problem on the leaves. Looks like have glue on and the leaves are crooked. 

Thanks heap

D3243501-B86B-4A73-A2B5-2BFA4206B15D.jpeg

57D9A2C2-A9A1-4729-8942-CCCD5D861326.jpeg

chefyash
Cultivating a Following

Re: Growing and caring of citrus plants

Neem oil seems to work for me and Epsom salt every now and then .I also use worm juice as a fertilizer and get consistently high yields for all my citrus( 2 lemon, 1lime, 1 kalamansi, 2 kaffir lime and 1 tangor kiyomi.

Re: Growing and caring of citrus plants

I dont know where you live but i am in Perth.......Citrus leafminer is the biggest scourge in Perth........but there are things you can do besides what ahs been recommended and if you understand your enemy.....it can help......I have 35 citrus in pots and 6 inground...inground is much easier to manage than pot culture......ive been growing 20 years both in nz and Aussie.

Leafminer used to be a summer and autumn thing but they come out as soon as the weather gets warm now and stay into early winter and only go when it gets cold.....they are active at night= a moth and are barely vizable.......you can buy eco traps from the makers of eco oil......

The best tactic is to feed organics in winter to inground and it can break down over winter and supply nutrients ..ready for the spring burst......Its a good idea to supply a slow release fert high in Nitrogen (particularly in urea) right now !...Citrus love urea and nitrogen....The problem is that leafminer love urea as well and that is what they are searching for when they tunnel........they pupate and curl the corner of leaf up and it can be devastating to young trees........I have tried all the tratments going...pest oil....eco oil....white oil etc......You need to spray every 5 to 14 days and what i have found is the best is a combination of eco oil and neem oil.......eco oil is a surfectent   (spelt wrong) and coats the surface of the leaves........Neem actually soaks into the leaf and kills the grub.......you can see it dead some days later........you need to spray the whole tree and pat attention to both sides of the leaf.......spray away from the sun...late afternoon......spray regular from late winter into early winter and esp new growth that is 5 mm long.......remove infected leaves........inspect leaves often and dispose........spring feed is the most important....2 thirds of your feed should be applied then.,.....in Autumn.......DONT feed with urea ....use ammonium instead as The leafminer will go nuts for the urea in the leaves.....dont try to encourage much new growth at that time.........even doing this you will not completely eradicate them but you will reduce infestation.......those traps have a pheromone that attracts the male leafminer....go figure ......I would have thought they would want to nail the females but hey....... eco oil and neem are both organic....so very little witholding period....I often put some fish/seaweed in with this so the plants get a foliar feed as well.........Good luck.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects