Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Growing broad beans

gore
Building a Reputation

Growing broad beans

I brought seed of broad bean from bunnings and i put in the pot.its so healthy and growing well.i transfer in the garden already now.after coupel of days i found like this in the picture like curling leaves.i dont know whether  its growing well or facing troubel.like a lemon leaves!curl leaves.

I add some pic.havea look.

Many thanks.

IMG20200529155608.jpg

IMG20200529155600.jpg

  

Ricardo
Finding My Feet

Re: broad beans

Looks like just a bit of transplant shock water them in with some seaweed solution it will get the roots growing and strengthen the plants cell walls

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @gore 

I see you have already received a helpful reply from @Ricardo .

Do you know if the leaves that are curled are not new leaves un-curling? I note that all the curled leaves are on the top where the new leaves are also un-folding. Depending on how gentle you were with transplanting most plants will suffer some amount of damage when re-planting. It could be a little bit stressed and it has also been getting fairly cold overnight. Have you had any frosts in your area?

I would monitor it over the next couple of days and perhaps apply a diluted application of Seasol 600ml Concentrate Liquid Fertiliser at half the recommended rate as Ricardo suggested.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
gore
Building a Reputation

Hi !!

@MitchellMc  thank you for reply,

there is no frosts in my area,NSW 2174.

yes like you said may be due to transplanting to the new area it happen like that.

Like you guys said  @MitchellMc @Ricardo  i will apply liquid fertilizer in the evening.

Thank you

gore
Building a Reputation

Insects on my broad beans

IMG20200906152417.jpgIMG20200906152351.jpg

  plz advice for it..i saw a green inscets all over the flowers of it.why this happen and how to remove it all.though i just use soapwater for it now.thank you

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Insects on my broad beans

Hi @gore,

The insects certainly like your garden! It must be all the amazing plants you are growing. Those are Aphids a common garden pest. I was looking back through your other posts to see if you had already purchased something that would deal with them. Did you ever get the Eco oil mentioned in your other discussion? If so that will work. Otherwise, since there seems to be a substantial amount of them I would recommend Yates 750ml Ready To Use Pyrethrum Insecticide or Yates 750ml Nature's Way Vegie And Herb Pest Spray if you want an organic option.

Please let me know if you need further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

gore
Building a Reputation

Re: Insects on my broad beans

Hi @MitchellMc yeah like you said i bought eco oil which i applied once too but  i saw it again.today i will try with Yates to  use Pyrethrum Insecticide  which i bought too last time.Hope it will work  completely.and i will let u know if not again.

thank you for the suggestion.

gore
Building a Reputation

Started harvesting broad beans

IMG20201008185827.jpgIMG20201011174827.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Started harvesting broad beans

Hi @gore

It's fantastic to see your harvest! I've merged all your topics together so other members can see what issues you have had along the way. It also makes it easier for others to navigate the site and find posts of interest.

I'm sure members will really appreciate reading all about your broad bean journey and seeing the bountiful crop you have managed to harvest.

Well done.

Mitchell

gore
Building a Reputation

Re: Started harvesting broad beans

Hi @MitchellMc 

thank you so much for being with me on this journey of broad beans,you guys are part of this success too. Thank you all once again.

with warm regards.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects