Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Help: How to protect Fruit Tree from wind

GarryM
Getting Established

Help: How to protect Fruit Tree from wind

Good day!

I prepared a 600mm tall raised bed for my kumquat calamondin tree due to garden soil not suitable for in ground planting.

My biggest dilemma at the moment is strong wind beating my fruit tree. Based on the attached photo showing where the raised bed will be permanently installed, what would you suggest for me to make or buy as wind barrier for my fruit tree?

I have not transplanted yet, when transplanted on this raised bed the tree will be at 1.5m high from the ground.

Thanks in advanced. Cheers!

98263831-1474-467A-8B22-3631AA5E4654.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to protect Fruit Tree from wind

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @GarryM. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

I'd start by investing in a good thick stake similar to Lattice Makers 38 x 38 x 1800mm Single Hardwood Garden Stake. Try to place it as central as possible in the raised bed and firmly attach the trunk of the kumquat to it with jute webbing.

In most normal circumstances that would be all that is needed to support a fruit tree. If for some reason you experience higher than normal winds in that position you could look a creating a wind barrier. Obviously, you would want it to be functional but still look nice too.

I could suggest some of these as options:

You could cement a couple of timber posts into the ground and fix the panel to them. Alternatively, using a couple of Whites 180cm Premium Black Ultraposts would also work. Installing any of the panels would certainly reduce the wind buffeting the tree.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
GarryM
Getting Established

Thanks @MitchellMc  for the great and detailed tips! I am very excited to do the transplant today 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙂

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@GarryM,

Make sure you post some photos once you do as I trust our members would like to see your efforts.

Mitchell

Hi @GarryM  and @MitchellMc 

I just planted to  japanese maples  as saplings and I am very concerned  about strong winds and  summer heat.

@MitchellMc  adding th stake is first thing to do second is s screening panel to the hot  sun at 3pm approximatly.

I have supported  my trees with stakes and  soft ties  and the next step is tallest  stakes i can get and  make a  trianguler shade cloth shelter until they out grow the shelter.

I also used a  product call Yates drought shield It puts a breathable  biodegradable polymer. that protects

• Protects plants from heat, water loss, drying winds, sunburn, droughts, frost and transplant shock.  you have to get that from flower power or the other hardware store via  pre order.   Sadly not a bunning stocked item i know of yet. Not bunnings fault.

Hello @Jewelleryrescue

I agree that adding stakes and tying off the young tree for extra support is a good way to prevent the tree from being blown away. Once the tree is strong enough to stand on its own, the stakes will no longer be necessary. Just letting you know that if you are after the Yates 2.5L Waterwise DroughtShield Leaf Protectant Ready-to-Use, it can be ordered at the special orders desk.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Eric

@EricL 

Thanks  for looking Good to know  I can order yates  drought shield through Bunnings

Saves me trips else where.

For some reason my Bunnings search on line for it was a not  product found .  maybe I did a typo  

I've always been told the best way to assist a tree to develop strong roots in windy situations is to lightly support them and to not tie them firmly to one or more stakes. The thinking being that once you do remove the stakes the trees aren't used to the movement so often fall over in the first big wind.

Is what you have suggested new thinking on this?

I live in Jindabyne and our top gusts over the year can reach 180km/hr as we are on the eastern side of the lake. I was advised by local gardeners not to stake my large trees and it seems to be working

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @podlet

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

What you've mentioned is actually spot on. It's only necessary to support the tree while it's very young. Sometimes very strong gusts of wind push very young trees too far and harm their growth. What I should have said was to loosely tie the tree to the stake to prevent overbending. The tree should still be free to move about in the wind and not be kept stationary. For larger developed trees, it's not necessary to tie them to stakes.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects