Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Help with Yuccas

gippslandhome
Becoming a Leader

Help with Yuccas

Good morning @Jason 

Could you please Tag in some of the Community Members on this post.

Recently we were given a bunch of Yakkas.

Because of the height and being newly planted about 4 of them flopped so I cut the tops back as shown in the pictures.

I'm just wondering will these possibly come back?  And should I be feeding them some form of fertilizer.

Thank you

Kind regards Rob 👍IMG_20190828_104619.jpg

IMG_20190828_104629.jpg

IMG_20190828_104625.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Help with Yuccas

Hi @gippslandhome,

Let me tag @Noelle for you for assistance with growing and caring for your Yucca plants. I'm sure she would be happy to assist when she gets a spare moment. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
greygardener
Becoming a Leader

They are generally pretty hardy @gippslandhome so they should bounce back. Remove any of the older leaves that have died. A feed won't hurt but be careful not to overwater. Make sure your soil drains well. 

Hi @Jason 

Just wondering if there may be others who may be able to answer my questions.

Regards Rob 👍

Thank you so much @greygardener 

That's a great help 

We got some seasol so will try that today and take alot of the dead leaves off.

I really appreciate your answer

Kind regards Rob 👍

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Rob

Yuccas grow from the top of the stem - you've cut the growing tip out of each one so these plants are unlikely to ever "recover". However, they will most likely produce "pups" around the base of each stem/trunk at ground level.  In time, you will end up with a host of small plants that can then be carefully removed from the parent plant and planted individually or simply left where they are to grow in clumps. The main stems will eventually die off.

Yuccas, like a lot of succulents with similar growth habit, grow from a central growth point which should be left intact. If damaged or removed, the plants will reproduce as a means of "survival of the species" by throwing suckers or pups.

The tops that you removed could have been planted as cuttings. When freshly cut and left to dry for a day or two, they will produce roots and grow on quite well.

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

@gippslandhome   I planted ones much the same and they are now going well, smack in the middle of a horrid drought.  Just keep watering them, not massive amounts and seasol is good to help ANY PLANT get established.  Give it around 12 weeks and you should start to see some results.  

I was like yourself give a lot of Yuccas and I left them in a wheelie bin for months much of the time forgetting to water them but now they look great.  The ones I water more often look the best.

Sadly we are on level 5 water restrictions so they don't get much water or almost none and they are still alive.  Once established from what I've seen in this area they seem to hold their own.

Cheers

This Old gal

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects