Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Herb and Chilli Festival

Jackson
Making a Splash

Herb and Chilli Festival

Attn: Melbourne Workshoppers

There is a herb and chilli festival on this weekend in Wandin. As you'd expect for a festival, there's going to be heaps of food, activities and music... but best of all for the greenthumbs, there'll be over 40 varieties of chillies and heaps of herbs on sale! I've never grown my own chillies before but I'm really keen on giving it a go. I think it'll be a really good opportunity to get some growing tips from the experts.

http://www.herbchillifestival.com.au/

Kim
Having an Impact

Re: Herb and Chilli Festival

Thanks for sharing @Jackson - see you there!  Kim

aly
Making a Splash

Sounds awesome, if I get a spare moment this weekend I might just have to check it out - thanks for sharing!
aly
Making a Splash

Also on this weekend is Melbourne is the tomato festival.....www.melbournetomatofestival.com
bergs
Making a Splash

Hi All, I attended the Herb and Chilli Festival last Saturday and what great day it was. 

There were plenty marquis, with the vendors ready to share their fare, with everyone, and what a cross section of herb and chillie spreads, sauces, drinks and food we tried. Delicious!!!

There was the chilli eating competitions where  quite a few contestants would be suffering the next day. Some were very brave, and lasted, where as, others had a couple of mouthfuls and couldn't carry on.

There cooking demonstrations and plant sales.

I bought a Manzano Orange Chilli which is supposed to be suited to the climate zone in sothern Vic.Plenty of fruit for a $5 plantPlenty of fruit for a $5 plant

The growers were saying its been spasmodic season this year, and the chillies at the start when ripe, were not as hot as when, they ripened later in the season, and that is correct, as I am finding that chillies I'm picking off the same plants now, have more zing in them than earlier fruit.

We all had a great day, and we'll put the festival in on our diaries for next year.

@QuailFlockI spoke to the chap who was leading the donkey around but he didn't remember you. He said his wife might, and that she was giving the kids a donkey ride down the end, but there were only young girls in charge of the donkeys. 

Here is the introduction from the festival program

Cheers @bergs

IMG_20180320_115944.jpg

Be happy and care for your tools

@berg, glad that you enjoyed the Festival. Hope you can overwinter the Manzano Orange Chilli or able to get a few seeds that you can plant them next year!

Hi @QuailFlock there are about 9 chillies on the plant, so I will try to overwinter it. There is one that is yellow so I presume it's pretty much ripe. I will taste it, but will keep the seeds for next season. So that's an ongoing project.

Cheers bergs (Gary) Happy gardening:bigsmile:

Be happy and care for your tools

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects