Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Holes in soil/yard

jaksmc
Just Starting Out

Holes in soil/yard

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have multiple holes on the edge of my entertainment area leading onto the garden. Can anyone please advise what creature is nesting or “drilling” these holes. Thanks, JAKSMC

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Holes in soil/yard

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jaksmc. It's amazing that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question.

Ah, the age-old question every keen gardener has of "What is digging holes in my yard?". We have several ongoing discussions within the community, with members giving some suggestions about what could be digging the holes. The consensus is that many creatures can burrow into and out of your soil, and it could be any of them. 

You might like to read through these previous topics to see if there is anything that sounds familiar:

After a Google search, my best guess is that Antlions, the larvae of Lacewings, have caused your holes. They create a distinctive cone-shaped hole almost identical to those in your image. In fact, it isn't actually a hole they've buried out of, but more-so a trap they've created. The larvae sit at the bottom of the cone and wait for an unsuspecting insect to slide down the slippery slops of the pit. Perhaps you could take a shovel and dig up one of the cones to see if you can find the larvae.

I look forward to us solving this mystery. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Holes in soil/yard

They look like Bull Ant holes to me..I have the same type holes in the dirt in the backyard..and Bull Ants come out of my holes..

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects