Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How I protect garden plants from chickens

Aussie-Garden
Becoming a Leader

How I protect garden plants from chickens

G'day everyone.

@mich1972  showed us how they protect their garden from the chickens and I didn't want to take over their discussion with my photos, so here's what I do to protect everything from the chickens.

The white Diamond Econetting is from Bunnings and is left over from when I was covering fruit trees.

Bamboo stakes hold it up in some beds and 2 pieces of crossed over PVC pipe is used in one bed, all from Bunnings.

For beds with wooded borders, I have screws that stick out by half and I secure the net to that, around the edges.

All chicken wire, pine bark, sugar cane mulch and wood chips are from Bunnings.

Decking boards, fence palings, wire mesh, stain and all screws are all from Bunnings.

Umbrella is from Bunnings.

As you can see, everything is protected from our free ranging chickens. It also works as a great barrier where needed against cabbage moth and birds.

20201120_181328.jpgChicken wire protects wood chips, pea straw and pine bark from being scratched up by the chickens.Chicken wire protects wood chips, pea straw and pine bark from being scratched up by the chickens.

20201120_181534.jpg20201120_181710.jpgAlfresco extended out with decking boards, fence palings and mesh wire to keep chickens out.Alfresco extended out with decking boards, fence palings and mesh wire to keep chickens out.

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How I protect garden, plants, vegies from chickens.

I am in love !!!!!! And no , you are not taking over with photies. I’m so glad you shared your beautiful garden and girls !!!! 

I would love to see more gardeners and chooks from the Workshop Community 🐓🐓🥚🥚🥰🥰

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How I protect garden, plants, vegies from chickens.

Fantastic work @Aussie-Garden. Thank you so much for sharing. We'll feature your handiwork on the Project Gallery so that members can be inspired and educated by what you have done. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects