Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I check the capacity of my water tank?

Trever
Growing in Experience

How can I check the capacity of my water tank?

Bunning Garden Water Tank.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How Can I Check The Capacity Of My Garden Water Tank

Hi @Trever,

Interesting question. Fortunately for me, given its odd shape, using mathematics is out somewhat of the question. However, we could come up with a pretty good estimation. Have you had a good look around it to make sure the specifications are not stamped into it somewhere?

If you can measure the length, width and height for me, I'll try to track down the supplier and work out what the capacity would be from their range. For instance, if it was 785W x 2000H x 2570L, it is likely to be 3000L and similar to the Clark Tanks 3000L Poly Slim Water Tank.

I'll be looking forward to more details.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Trever
Growing in Experience

Re: How Can I Check The Capacity Of My Garden Water Tank

Thanks, I can work it out now.

Trever
Growing in Experience

How Can I Check The Current Capacity Of My Water Tank?

I am not sure about how much water is in the water tank because I cannot see through the tank, is there a way that can check the current capacity of the water tank. 

If My water tank is full it can hold 3000L. Bunning Garden Water Tank.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How Can I Check The Current Capacity Of My Water Tank?

Hi @Trever,

You can tap the tank's sidewall with a solid object starting from the bottom and working your way to the top. When you get above the water level, it will begin to sound hollow. You'll then be able to tell roughly how much water is in the tank.

Another method is to choose a side in the shade and run your hand up it. The portion of the tank with water will generally feel cooler to the touch.

If you'd like to know regularly the amount of water in the tank, you can purchase a Rain Harvesting Tank Gauge.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects