Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I save my Escallonia plants?

prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

How can I save my Escallonia plants?

243E83F3-B4A2-48E0-8143-84519D841EA3.jpeg

13E4333A-090F-43BE-A57B-D4A06BD73AFC.jpeg

Hey Workshop members, 

I’m hoping to get some advice on how and if I can save these Escallonia Iveyi plants in my garden. 
They have been in there for around 3 years now and have been growing really well until about a year ago the one on the end started losing a lot of its leaves. It was right after a hot summer so I assumed at the time it was just heat stress and with a little extra water I did manage to bring it back a little but it has never full recovered. It has got to the point that it’s almost bare now and while it continues to produce new leaves, they keep shrivelling up or falling off. After some research I thought it may be leaf spot so I removed all the affected leaves, cleared out the old mulch and put fresh mulch down aswell as some compost around the roots but after about a week it has just continued dropping leaves and it appears that the plant directly next to it is starting to thin out a little now aswell.
I’ve attached some pics of the leaves, it’s got me really confused as most articles I’ve looked up leaf spot on Escallonias online but they all seem to have black/purple spots with white dots in the middle, but I haven’t yet found one leaf with the white dots. Some are just going yellow, others are turning black, and some have random spots so I really have no idea what I’m up against here. 
I have 5 plants in the garden bed and they all receive the same amount of water, sunlight etc. The ones at the other end are doing great! 
Any advice? Thanks in advance! 😊

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I save my Escallonia plants?

Hi @prettyliving,

My diagnosis would be that it is some type of fungal disease. After some investigation, leaf spot doesn't always appear to be characterised by an obvious white spot boarded by purple. In some cases, looking very similar to your images. However, I will call in our horticulturists @Noelle and @Adam_W for an expert opinion on this one.

If it was a fungal pathogen, your cleanup might also need to be accompanied by a fungicidal spray to stop the spores from reinfecting the plant. If this is the case, perhaps Noelle or Adam might be able to recommend a fungicide that would be effective, as I believe this disease might require special treatment.

I look forward to us sorting out this issue for you.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for your help @MitchellMc 

I will wait to hear some recommendations on a spray 😊

Any ideas @Noelle?

I'm sure Jess would really appreciate your expert advice.

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @prettyliving 

Some of the leaves are exhibiting what could be disease but some also look like there may be an element deficiency at play.  Seems strange that any of these potential causes would affect only one plant while the others remain healthy.  Yellowing along the mid-rib and veins looks like it could be a magnesium problem. I'd try a trace elements mix.

The brown leaf tips may be a moisture-related issue - too much or too little.  What's the drainage like at that end of the bed? Generally, escallonias are fairly hardy and not particularly fussy although they will react to over-watering and diseases.

There may well also be a fungal infection as @MitchellMc has diagnosed. A natural fungicide wouldn't go astray.

prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

Thank you @Noelle for the advice, I really appreciate it ☺️
I put a trace elements mix down over the weekend and also discovered a large ants nest right off to the side of the dying plant. I wonder if the ants might have something to do with it? 

Hi again @prettyliving 

The ants' nest isn't likely to be affecting the plant but it would probably be a good idea to treat it with an appropriate ant insecticide asap before they become problematic throughout the garden and/or in your house!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects