Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I build a raised vegetable garden

donna
Just Starting Out

How do I build a raised vegetable garden

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How do I build a raised vegetable garden

Welcome to Workshop @donna. It's great to have you join the community. I hope you find plenty of great information, ideas and advice and I'm looking forward to reading about your plans and projects.

A raised vegie garden is a great project. I'm sure there will be many community members keen to assist.

Here's a few posts that should inspire:

The following Bunnings D.I.Y. videos should also be a great help. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Hi @donna,

What materials were you planning to use for the raised garden bed? Do you have good DIY skills to build something from scratch or would you prefer to buy a simple kit? There are lots of options to explore. And then you get to the fun part of getting the soil ready and planting.

Hi @donna.

I use old fruit picking bins for my garden beds. Put casters on the bottom and they become mobile too.

There are so many options available to you @donna. Do you have a sense of what you would like to use it for? That might point you in the right direction for how big it needs to be, what materials to use, etc.
Wayne
Becoming a Leader

I made 3 garden beds from sleepers I had cut to size (at Bunnings) 2 are 1800mm x 900mm and the middle one is 1800mm x 1200mm.
Garden26122015.jpg
It is hard to see them here they are nestled in amongst the Agapanthus.
One thing I will say is that they require a lot of soil, I used a mix of bagged compost and potting soil and numerous bags of each!

Wood Working with Wayne
bluebec
Building a Reputation

I didn't make my own, I bought them from a water tank supplier. I only didn't make them because I didn't have the tools. If I did it again, I would definitely make them, purchasing or borrowing the tools would be cheaper than buying all the beds.

The hardest bit is filling them up with soil, because you need quite a lot of it. I first used a mixture of sugar cane mulch, pea straw and purchased compost/garden soil. Then I found out that onions and garlic don't like peas - so that didn't go so well. ALso, carrots prefer more soil than I'd given them to grow in. Over the next 5 years I gradually filled them up with a mixture of my own compost and store bought compost/garden soil. This means I get lots of little tomatoes and pumpkins sprouting because my compost is full of seeds from the things we've eaten, which clearly haven't broken down fully.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @donna,

Great to see that you got such fantastic suggestions from Workshop community members. I trust you found their advice useful. Please let us know how you go with the project.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects