Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I fix a cracked concrete garden ornament?

moxie1990
Finding My Feet

How do I fix a cracked concrete garden ornament?

I have a large concrete pelican ornament that is starting to show cracks around the neck/bill/head area. How can I seal, repair or put in some sort of support to stop it from getting worse? 

20231113_192154.jpg

20231113_192213.jpg

20231113_192220.jpg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I fix a cracked concrete garden ornament?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @moxie1990. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing a pelican.

I must say, it's the first time I've been asked for advice on such a subject. How long have these cracks been around for? I'd presume that some type of reinforcement has been used internally. If that's the case, then these cracks might only be aesthetical and if they've been around for a long time, they probably are. You could sand back the paint and use a crack filler in them. This would help fill the crack and create a smooth surface for re-painting, but it won't address any structural issues.

There's nothing I can think of that would help prevent the cracks from getting worse, and this might be a case of touching up the areas with filler, re-painting and hoping for the best. If pieces start falling off, or if the cracks open up enough to inject an adhesive within them, then we could entertain the idea of glueing it back together.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @moxie1990  and @MitchellMc 

Sadly I dont know how I would fix this either tho really would like to figure a way out to do so. I have seen so many old garden ornaments like this and would love to figure a way out to bring them back.

Thats a nice looking pelican! I suspect there is some kind of reo inside and what concerns me is if its started to rust it will keep on expanding and cracking the concrete. Id go the way of cosmetic repair until it cleary "wants" to seperate then you hopefully will be able to get to the rusted section to repair it. 

Hopefully someone has had a go with this type of "surgery" :smile: and can lead the way :smile:

Dave

Hey.

I have a pair of these beauties and have only just noticed the cracks appearing in 1 of them. I don't mind the looks of the cracks, just the idea of them increasing in size gets me. 

Do you thinking creating some sort of stitch work to support the cracked parts would work? Like drill holes either side and have supporting clasps screwed in place to help stop the crack from increasing. I have repaired a broken off donkey's ear with copper wire 'stitches', but that was only a light ear.

I'm not sure how well injecting adhesive would work as it's only hairline cracks.

Thank you 😊 

Yes. The cracks you sort of know it can be the beginning of the end.

I live on the coast so the salt air getting in is my concern. You would definitely think it would have reo supports inside, being so big. I might just fill the surface (I won't be able to get in deep as they're only hairline fractures) to perhaps stop rust inside happening. Thank you for that thought

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @moxie1990 

I really like the fix for the ear! :smile: I like thatw ay of thinking.

The pelican looks like its got a few years under its belt, the cosmetic fix should last for a fair few years. After that then there may be other products released or go the route of the wire stitching repair like chinese crockery! :smile:

Looking close at the cracks they are only tiny, if you seal the crack to stop water entering that really should slow any process down. For down the track (years away) id maybe think of grinding segmants out and then putting in screws and reconcreting them with new concrete. But that would be a whole new process :smile:

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @moxie1990 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from our members. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend using Dulux 4L Concrete & Paving Clear Protective Sealer Matt after you've done your repairs and repainted your statue. The clear sealer will act as the first line of defence against the weather.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects