Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I keep my plants alive?

yumnaqazi
Growing in Experience

How do I keep my plants alive?

I don't know why my plants keep dying after I while ? Even succulents. 

16261548561043880880986610262232.jpg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How do I keep my plants alive?

Hi @yumnaqazi and welcome to Bunnings Workshop. It's wonderful to have you join us.

It would be helpful to hear more detail about your watering regime, what type of drainage the pots have, how often you've fertilised and how much indirect sunlight the plants receive. It would be great to know the types of plants too as each could have different needs.

@Noelle shared helpful tips for looking after indoor plants in this discussion and may be able to offer advice for yours too with a little more detail about your plant collection.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
yumnaqazi
Growing in Experience

Hey, 

Its  Aeonium and I keep it indoors and it gets indirect sunlight. I have self watering pots. I water after 1 week or so ? I didnt think it needed that much water 

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @yumnaqazi 

Your plant definitely looks to be suffering from too much moisture in the potting mix.

Succulents don't do particularly well in self-watering pots because they tend to like potting mix that dries out between watering.  The potting mix level in your pot is too low, so my recommendation would be to repot your aeonium into a non-self watering pot (a normal pot) with fresh premium cacti & succulent mix.

Water only when the top 5cm or so of potting mix feels very dry to the touch and then give enough so excess runs freely out the bottom of the pot. Don't stand pots in saucers of water.  The indirect light position is OK but make sure the plant isn't getting direct airflow from a heater or aircon.

yumnaqazi
Growing in Experience

Alright, I'll give it a try. 

Thankyou so much for your help! 

EmDIYer
Finding My Feet

Hi @yumnaqazi 

I thought I was hopeless with plants before I came across Summer Rayne Oakes Plant One On Me.  Since then I've become educated about my houseplants and they're not only alive, but they look happy and are thriving thanks to her knowledge. Take a look. Run a search on the plant you have and she'll give you tips on lighting, watering, soil etc.  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpBzvPnmlkNSimSsbb336yGixspFAsii8

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Wonderful, thanks for sharing @EmDIYer, and welcome. It's great to see you make your first post on Bunnings Workshop.

We'd love to see your thriving plants and hear about any projects you are planning around the house or garden so feel free to hit Start a discussion when you're ready to share or need a hand. 

You may also like to browse through our project guides on Workshop and the D.I.Y. advice shared by the Bunnings team as both have fantastic gardening resources too.

Stevie

yumnaqazi
Growing in Experience

This is the current state, now so unsure of what to do anymore? Haven't watered it at all 

16269301186167323057488900356998.jpg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @yumnaqazi,

Thanks for sharing an update. Let me tag @Noelle and @LisasGarden to see if they can offer any suggestions.

Stevie

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi again @yumnaqazi 

It hasn't deteriorated any further and the badly affected pieces have dropped off. It isn't going to look vastly improved in such a short time but it is looking OK at present.

Do the finger test to see how dry the top 5cm or so of potting mix is, and water if it is very dry. Make sure it isn't in direct sun or the direct air stream of a heater or air conditioner and allow it a couple of months or so to recover its condition. You could add a liquid fertiliser such as Osmocote Pour + Feed for Cacti & Succulents, which is ready to use straight from the bottle, to give it a boost.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects