Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I rescue our buffalo lawn?

Possum1304
Growing in Experience

How do I rescue our buffalo lawn?

IMG_5057.jpegIMG_5055.jpegIMG_5054.jpeg

Hi all, I’m new to all of this and read through all the info about lawn problems.  I live in Qld, the Sunny coast, and my lawn looks great, lush and green.

However, I’m now spending some time in Melbourne where we laid a new buffalo lawn last March.  It wasn’t long that weeds started to pop up.  We removed them by hand and fertilised the new lawn as per instructions. Fertilised again last August but weeds kept coming back.

After mowing we went away for three weeks in September and came back to a ‘lawn’ looking like this!

We’ve had unseasonably cold and wet weather which probably hasn’t helped either.

There are only a few broad leaf weeds which we have removed by hand, but the rest are mainly grassy looking ones, don’t think it’s bindii or nut grass.  We’ ve pulled out a few and they come out quite easily. Roots and all, no runners.

We’d love to hear what kind they are and most importantly how to get rid of them.

Re: How to rescue my buffalo lawn - continued

It is best to wait until the spray takes effect @Possum1304, but you could mow your lawn. As long as you've applied the spray to the Winter grass and it's starting to take effect, you could add the needed top-dressing to the area.

The only issue I see with mowing and topdressing is that you might cover up any Winter grass that needs a second application of the spray. If it's still alive, it could continue to grow. That could be addressed at a later date, though.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to rescue my buffalo lawn - continued

Thank you very much for all your advice Mitchell! I’m looking forward to a beautiful lawn eventually.  I realise it takes a lot of work but it will be worth it. Thank you again.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects