Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a temporary retaining wall?

Allibe70
Getting Established

How to build a temporary retaining wall?

We have been let down by tradesmen and have prepared an areas that was supposed to be cleared and a retaining wall placed last week.

We are now left trying to find another tradesman but as we have removed the previous shed and the rotting retaining wall we need to find a temporary solution to build up and keep the soil in place - see photos - epecially around the large tree we have in backyard

I have been thinking sandbags or a silt fence with material and stakes - but not sure how to do this 

I also have plants that I need to re - plants so was hoping I could build a temporary retaining wall inside where the new retaining wall will go so so then I could fill  the soil to correct level so at least we have a solution until I can get someone else to assist and get our backyard back 

any suggestions would be appreciated,

Screen Shot 2023-11-08 at 5.25.12 pm.pngScreen Shot 2023-11-08 at 5.24.47 pm.pngScreen Shot 2023-11-08 at 5.23.50 pm.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a temporary retaining wall?

Hello @Allibe70  

I'm sorry to hear that your trade person has let you down. But believe it or not your plan on replacing your retaining wall is technically 50 percent done. removing the old retaining wall was half the job. The only remaining step is to install the new retaining wall. 

I suggest having a look at this step-by-step guide:

I honestly believe that you can do this if the retaining wall is not going to be very tall. However, if you are not ready to undertake such a project, I propose using 200 x 50mm 2.4m Treated Pine Sleeper H4 in combination with Saxon 110cm Black T Steel Fence Post to hold the timber in place. The best part is that when you get new trades people in, the sleeper can be cut down and reused to create your new retaining wall.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects