Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a timber retaining wall?

Dheeraj
Finding My Feet

How to build a timber retaining wall?

Hi Team,

I was going through couple of videos in this workshop they are really amazing, thank you for the great efforts you made for us by uploading such a helpful information.

I am needing your inputs and suggestions at this time.

I am planning to build a Timber Retailing wall. I am willing to build it using 200x50x6Mts Sleepers.

Approximate length of the wall would be 40Mts, width 1.20Mts, and Height 400MM. I am attaching a picture which i found in the internet for reference. I am wanting to do some thing similar.

Team would you please help me know what tools i need and material required to do this project with a low price. Should i be using timber to make posts or is it good to use Steel H-Section between each Sleeper and do i also need to put concrete for the posts. 

Also would like to know what should i be doing before filling the Top soil in it and not allowing the weeds to grow. At this stage i have got plenty of weeds around my fence. Please suggest what should i be considering to clear those weeds and make sure my retaining wall would be perfect to grow veggies flowers and fruits.

Highly welcome all your suggestions and inputs.

Looking forward to listen from you.

Kind Regards,

Dheeraj.

Backyard Sample pic.PNG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build a timber retaining wall

Hi @Dheeraj,

Thanks for the positive feedback and a big welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're thrilled to have you join us and look forward to seeing how you can transform your garden. 

I take it you have seen our step-by-step article by @Adam_W How to build a retaining wall? It includes a full list of tools and materials required underneath the steps. Please take a look and then come back with any specific questions you have about your project. I'm sure Adam and other community members would be more than happy to help. 

You might also be interested in this popular discussion - Best way to control weeds in the garden.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Jason,

Thank you for taking time to go through my post. I have been through Adam_w how to make retailing wall. It was mostly covering steps. I am looking for making a retailing wall to grow veggies Flovers and plants across the fence. 
I also would like to know what is best for pillars to support sleepers. 

Much appreciate your reply and time.

Cheers,

Dheeraj.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dheeraj,

Many thanks for having a look at Adam_W's guide, you will find these are the same steps you will take in your project. Adam_W was retaining soil whilst your project will be to retain a garden bed for veggies and flowers which is the same method.

You can certainly use steel pillars, but they will add to the cost of your project and using sleepers for the posts will be adequate. You will need to concrete both steel and timber posts into the ground to secure them.

I would spray the existing weeds with a non-residual weed killer like Yates 1l Ready To Use Nature's Way Organic Weed Killer Spray. You might like to use a weed matting before mulching the area to prevent future weeds appearing.

If you need further advice or have questions, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Dheeraj,
Welcome to Workshop!
Okay, let me unpack some of this for you...
- Upright posts - no matter what material you use they will need to be concreted in. This stops the wall from tipping. For a wall that's 400mm tall (two sleepers high) I'd suggest that they need to be at least 400mm in the ground. If you're using 200 x 75mm posts I'd want to see a hole at around 300 x 150mm but this depends on the soil. If its very sandy or loose possibly larger.

- Post materials - I quite like the slotted steel pillars my only issue with them is that normally for the long boards you'd use 2.4m x 200 x 50mm sleepers. In my experience if these are not also supported in the middle with a post they are inclined to bow outwards. I prefer to always have three support points for sleepers in walls - each end and the middle.
- Best material - treated pine is far and away the most economical and easiest to work with however if you plan to plant any food plants I would recommend that you use non-CCA treated pine such as 'microshades' products.
- Weeds - as @MitchellMc mentioned, best to deal with the weeds first, you'll likley find once you start disturbing the soil many can be removed by hand,  and if you do want a long-term fix lay down some weedmat and then mulch on top of this once everything is constructed. I actually like to lay down newspaper around 6 or 8 sheets thick and then mulch. This will last for long enough to get rid of the weeds and then it breaks down into the soil.
Okay, think I've covered most stuff. Please fire any more questions at us & I promise I'll answer sooner next time :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects