Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build simple drainage?

Graham81
Finding My Feet

How to build simple drainage?

How do I build a simple drain to stop water flowing down a slope effecting natives especially correas

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build simple drainage?

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop @Graham81. We're pleased to have you join the community and look forward to reading about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden.

Could we please trouble you for some photos of your garden? It would help members to provide more helpful and specific advice if they could see what you are working with.  

Please let me know if you need a hand sharing some images. 

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Simple Drainage

Hello @Graham81 

Diverting water or putting in a basic drain is definitely something that can be built. But in order for us to give you a comprehensive recommendation, we're going to have to see what we are dealing with. A photo would really be handy as it will tell us if its near concrete or soil. Are there any large obstacles or plants in the way? Is it soft or hard soil full of rocks? How long does the diversion need to be?

These are some of the questions your picture will answer. Plus, it saves us from a lot guessing.   

If you need hand posting the photos, please let us know.

Eric

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Graham81 

Thanks for sharing those photos of your garden. I take it that rainwater landing on the concrete pad is being directed towards the slope. Diverting or catching the water is not difficult, but where it will get diverted to is another matter. There are rules and regulations regarding the redirecting of water, especially if it goes towards your neighbour or into an area where it might create a flood. 

However, to give you a few ideas of how to catch the water, I propose looking at the Everhard 3m EasyDRAIN Compact Polymer Grate And Channel. A slight channel will need to be dug out so that the surface of the EasyDrain is parallel to the concrete pad. Any water coming along will get caught by the drain and redirected.

Another option is to put a stand-up ledge on the end of the concrete pad using Brighton Masonry 200 x 100 x 40mm Cream Mypave Paver. Placing this ledge will serve as a diverter for the water flowing on the surface, but as I mentioned it must be diverted safely to the proper channel.

One more way to divert the water is to install a French drain using Vinidex 100mm x 20m Socked Slotted Draincoil. The general steps are to dig a channel in the soil and cover it in geo fabric. A light layer of gravel is placed at the bottom and then the agi-pipe is placed in and then the top is covered with more gravel. When water hits gravel it is diverted into the pipe and the water is directed elsewhere.

Before you begin, I propose speaking to a plumber regarding the drain layout and finding out if the runoff needs to be diverted into your stormwater pipe.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Hi Eric,

The problem is not the concrete pad but the slope which brings water to flat areas close to the concrete and sits there so plants become water damaged and eventually die 

I am reluctant to put pipes in because there would need to be a number of plants removed

I am looking for the simplest option to divert the water before it settles around the plants Is using screenings an option and if so which ones? 

Graham81

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Graham81,

It's difficult to answer your question without knowing how you intend to use the screenings to divert the water. Screening is typically a small stone and does not have water diversion characteristics; the water will simply travel through it. Perhaps you are describing a screen, as in a physical border. In that case, plastic garden edging could be used to help divert surface water before it reaches these low spots. 

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects